Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    no plummer here Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 07:24 AM
    Old toilet flapper doesn't stay up
    I have an older toilet, and the flapper doesn't stay up to allow the toilet to flush. I am pretty sure the other posts are talking about a newer version of the insides of a toilet where as I don't see any hooks for the flapper.

The chain is where it should be a little bit of play but not too much in it. I just want to flush my toilet without having to hold down the handle till it finally fully flushes. Ugh!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 07:58 AM

See the images will show you the flush valve and the flapper installation, in your case you might have the old flush valve just slide the flapper valve on to the foverflow tube, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 09:19 AM

Here are some more images, for the flapper installation and adjusting the chain, thanks.

John
    Attached Images

e5ip6kee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 03:27 PM
    I just installed (for 8 or 9 bucks) and entirely new set of toilet guts to fix a similar problem. You can get a Universal system (similar to the FluidMaster Universal 2 Piece Repair Kit), or whatever type you need for your toilet that will include a refill assembly and flapper. Installation of such a kit will fix your type of symptom because it incorporates adjustable chains that will either prevent a toilet from running after it fills to the level you desire, or it can be adjusted to fill more. The kit above also has incorporated into it a leak guard and a water saving system. For 8 dollars it can't be beat and with just a few simple tools (wrench, scissors, and tape measure) you can get it installed in minutes (if you have two left hands it still won't take you any longer than a few hours) and you'll rid yourself of a lot of future toilet problems all at once.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Hi e5ip6kee and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 1 year old dead thread. In the future, before you post, look in the upper left hand corn er for the date.
    We tank you for your input. Very informative. Regards. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flapper ! [ 11 Answers ]

Okay... my father decided to fix the toilets one day for a variety of reasons I won't go into right now... BUT ever since THEY HAVEN'T BEEN RIGHT!! Wish he'd leave my HOUSE ALONE!! Anyway, I digress... The FLAPPER on the 2 toilets aren't working properly. When you flush they stay up for just about...

Toilet Flapper [ 11 Answers ]

First, thank you to everyone for all the helpful advice I have received in this forum. Seriously, it's GREAT! I've been lurking for quite some time but have finally found the need to post with a question. About 2 weeks ago my wife and I noticed the toilet in our basement was "running"...

Toilet Flapper [ 12 Answers ]

The toilet flapper closer too soon (as soon as you release the lever). It is a new flapper; any suggestions?

Flapper refuses to go down in toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed my flapper in my toilet and it was working over the last couple of days. When I went to use it this morning, I noticed the flapper was not going down. In other words, it was not returning to the seat. It remained up. I loosened the chain and tightend the chain. Can...

Toilet Flapper Won't Drop [ 2 Answers ]

When flushed, my toilet flapper immediately raises to a 45 degree angle, but then it will not drop completely unless the handle outside the tank is pulled up (jiggling does not solve it). It drops partially, but then the chain is tight and it is does not drop further. Once you pull up the handle,...

View more questions Search