Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wade42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 07:06 AM
    My pump comes kicks on and off constantly when no water is running
    My well pump kicks on and off constantly when no water is running. Pressure builds up to normal cut off pressure and drops right back down to cut in pressure causing the pump to kick on every 30 seconds. Could my pressure switch cause this or is my pressure tank leaking.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2010, 07:49 AM

My bet's on a faulty check/foot valve.
    Yhis is the fitting that keeps the pressure in your system. If it's bad the pressure will bleed back into the nwell and your pump will start to build it back up only to have it start all over again. Replace the check/foot valve. Good luck, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 09:39 AM

I think SB has nailed it. This site will be useful for you:

Water system check valve location & purpose - private pump and well system do-it-yourself repairs
    mjb1962 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
    I just had the same problem. The pump would cycle every five seconds with no water flowing and no leaks. I suspected the check valve so I pulled the pump from the ground (casing). My pump has a built in valve that is not replaceable so I added a valve inline with the pumps outlet just above the outlet. Couldn't see spending $400 on a new pump just to replace the valve. The valve and nipple were about $20 including hose clamps and teflon tape. This fixed the problem. A few days later the pump started to cycle rapidly again but this time only when using/calling for water. I found the pressure tank to be full of water providing no buffering. The bladder inside must have failed and choked off the outlet because when I disconnected the tank no water came out. A new pressure tank fixed this problem. I did also purchase a new pressure switch because I am sure the contacts are worn from all the cycling. Will install soon.
    Hope this helps
    Mark
    dawnaguilar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2014, 12:14 PM
    My pump keeps trying to turn on and off -all day even with no water running I have already replaced the switch box on the pump and it's still doing the same thing thank you in advance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump running constantly? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all. I recently moved into a new apartment in Phoenix, AZ that has a heat pump. This is my first time living with a heat pump, and I'm trying to figure out some things. First, I just received my first electric bill at this new place. It is triple what I normally pay for December in...

Water constantly running [ 6 Answers ]

We noticed yesterday the sound of running water in our pipes. We have found no leaks in the house, no standing water, no water stains. The meter outside is spinning like crazy and we can find no water entering the house. If we cut the water off at the street, the running sound quits. Open it up and...

Heat pump outside fan running constantly [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old Trane XL 1200 heat pump (model WCY024F1) I live in Eastern NC and the outside air temp has cool to around 53F. I noticed that the outside Fan on the unit has been running constantly the past two days. The unit otherwise is working normally i.e. its putting out heat in heat...

Heat pump constantly running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goodman heat pump (3 years old). The thermostat is set at 72 and it is 43 degrees outside. I realized it was chilly in the house, I then reset the thermostat to 74. The heat pump came on and it is two hours later, the house is resting at 74 but the heat pump is still on and it is...

Water pump kicks on and off constantly [ 2 Answers ]

My pump keeps turning off and on and well it does my toilet fills up well the pump runs but the pump shuts off again so my toilet takes 1 hour to fill up. What is the problem can u please help me?

View more questions Search