Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellwoods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 10:45 PM
    1930 toilet flange / lead pipe problem
    I have a home that was built in the 1930s. I have a problem with the toilet on my first floor. When the water supply to the toilet is on water leaks through the floor to the basement below. Here are some random facts: The floor in the bathroom is original tile. The floor doesn't appear to be wet. I have access from the basement. The pipe I can see connecting the toilet to the waste pipe is lead. The waste pipe is cast iron. The lead pipe comes down and bends right, traveling through a wood beam and over a "girder" type beam to the iron pipe that ties to my septic. The distance between the two is 2 feet or so. I have been dealing (or not dealing) with this issue by keeping the water supply turned off , only turning it on to flush. I have resisted pulling the toilet because I realize once I do there's no going back. If my problem is the flange, how do I fix it ? With the beams and the tight quarters replacing the lead pipe with PVC seams - well... This feeling like War and Peace so I'll take a breath and throw myself at your mercy and knowledge. Thanks in advance.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2006, 10:55 PM
    First you need to find out where the water is leaking from. If it is from where the commode is sealed to the lead pipe, that would be one thing that is fairly easy to stop, if the leak is coming from further down the lead pipe that the pipe must have a hole I it and this could be a bigger problem but still fixable. If the water is coming from some other place then no need to bother the lead waste pipe. Sometimes it is very hard to determine where water is coming from, so make sure you have found he leak and then to problem can be solved very easy.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 19, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellwoods
    I have a home that was built in the 1930s. I have a problem with the toilet on my first floor. When the water supply to the toilet is on water leaks thru the floor to the basement below. Here are some random facts: The floor in the bathroom is original tile. The floor doesn't appear to be wet. I have access from the basement. The pipe I can see connecting the toilet to the waste pipe is lead. The waste pipe is cast iron. The lead pipe comes down and bends right, traveling through a wood beam and over a "girder" type beam to the iron pipe that ties to my septic. The distance between the two is 2 feet or so. I have been dealing (or not dealing) with this issue by keeping the water supply turned off , only turning it on to flush. I have resisted pulling the toilet because I realize once I do there's no going back. If my problem is the flange, how do I fix it ? With the beams and the tight quarters replacing the lead pipe with PVC seams - well ...This feeling like War and Peace so I'll take a breath and throw myself at your mercy and knowledge. Thanks in advance.

I have a little problem here. If the water"s leaking from the supply and you have to turn it off to stop it why are you focusing on the lead closet bend?
    It seems to me simple enough. Go into the basement and track the water supply until you locate the leak. Or am I missing something here?
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flange Problem [ 1 Answers ]

In my 1940's bathroom remodel the old toilet didn't even have a flange.After replacing the rotted floor around the toilet,I have my ceramic tile down and it's flush with the top of the cast iron pipe.My question is what type of flange to use.The cast iron only goes down 1 3/4" before it narrows and...

Toilet flange problem [ 6 Answers ]

I have two toilets that both have broken pvc flanges. I have tried to install one of the flange repair rings and the toilet won't seat properly with in on there. One toilet is currently not in use due to my inability to fix this problems thusfar. My question is, how difficult will it be for me to...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

Replacing a toilet flange with a lead connection [ 6 Answers ]

I am about to pull up my old toilet and take a close look at what's underneath. I am also going to go over the original plank sub-floor with fresh 3/8" ply (followed later with thin lauan for eventual linoleum) there is a visible floor patch from an old repair. Given the fact that there has been a...

View more questions Search