Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Hot water pressure valve releasing
    My pressure relief valve on the hot water heater is releasing every couple of days. My tank is in an overflow pan. I get about an inch of water in the pan each time. We've replaced the hot water heater. Before that, we replaced the pressure relief valve (twice) on the old water heater. Problem seems to be getting worse since it's gotten colder. Plumbers have been scratching their heads on this one. We have 61 psi coming in from the street. I have an expansion pressure tank and it is installed on the outlet/system pipe approx. 3 feet from the tank. It's a gas heater, 8 months old. The expansion tank might be 8 to 10 years old. I purchased the home a year ago. My plumber thinks we need to start with a pressure regulator valve in the service line. Looking for suggestions?? Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 06:39 PM
    I think expansion tanks normally go on the inlet, but see no reason why one on the outlet shouldn't work. That is unless it is waterlogged. If it has an air valve on it, push in the stem and see if water comes out. If so, it is bad. If no air valve, start at the bottom hitting it with a screw driver handle. If half way up it changes from clunk to clang, it is OK. If it is clunk all the way to the top, it may be bad.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 14, 2006, 07:32 PM
    I will also add:

If you are on city water and have no pressure regulator, I would strongly suggest getting one, I am on city water, and I noticed that my water pressure tends to change once in a while. I installed a regulator and keep it set at 50 PSI.

Check the pressure tank as labman adivsed, also check the temp of the water heater, make sure it is cutting off when it should and not overheating.

I recently installed a releif tank on my water heater, the box said that the 2 gallon one was good for my unit, a 50 gallon electric tank set to about 115 degrees with 50PSI incoming regulated pressure.

I have noticed that it seems once a pressure releif valve pops off a few times, it tends to get weak. Or at least it does for me. If it takes to dribbling or running water constantly, it too will need to be replaced.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix43
    My pressure relief valve on the hot water heater is releasing every couple of days. My tank is in an overflow pan. I get about an inch of water in the pan each time. We've replaced the hot water heater. Before that, we replaced the pressure relief valve (twice) on the old water heater. Problem seems to be getting worse since it's gotten colder. Plumbers have been scratching their heads on this one. We have 61 psi coming in from the street. I have an expansion pressure tank and it is installed on the outlet/system pipe approx. 3 feet from the tank. Its a gas heater, 8 months old. The expansion tank might be 8 to 10 years old. I purchased the home a year ago. My plumber thinks we need to start with a pressure regulator valve in the service line. Looking for suggestions???? thanks.
    The expansion tank should be switched over to the inlet side of the tank, especially since, as you said, it is a newer tank which most likely has a check valve built into the inlet dialectric nipple.

Having it on the outlet side of the tank isn't doing your system a lick of good.

And Andrew Cocke is correct, once the T&P has popped off a few times, the spring inside is a blow-out just waiting to happen.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    The expansion tank should be switched over to the inlet side of the tank, especially since, as you said, it is a newer tank which most likely has a check valve built into the inlet dialectric nipple.

Having it on the outlet side of the tank isn't doing your system a lick of good.

And Andrew Cocke is correct, once the T&P has popped off a few times, the spring inside is a blow-out just waiting to happen.
    How is the expansion tank going to absorb the excess water from expansion I it is down stream of a check valve?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    How is the expansion tank going to absorb the excess water from expansion i it is down stream of a check valve?
    The expansion tank is intended to protect both sides (hot and cold) of the potable water system from thermal expansion.

Having the tank on the hot side, because of the direction of flow, protects only the hot side, while having it on the cold side protects both sides of the system.

The ball in the dialectic nipple is always in the open position when under NOP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

30 Gallon Hot Water Heater Relief Valve ? [ 13 Answers ]

I just had the relief (release?) valve replaced on my Hot Water Heater because it was constantly leaking and dripping. The new one seems to work great because I don't see it dripping anymore. However, I kept a bucket under it to be cautious, and every day there is a little over a cup of clean water...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Low water pressure, too much hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Changed water filter approximately 2 weeks ago. Since then, we've had reduced water pressure at kitchen faucet and in shower. I've also noticed there's too much hot water in the shower (I have to turn the cold water almost completely off to get a comfortable temp, which explains the low flow BUT...

Poor Water Pressure throughout House - Regulator Valve may need adjusting? [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing poor water pressure. We have lived in the house for about 2 years and have never had great water pressure. I noticed what seems to be a regulator valve of sorts on the main line coming into the house (see picture) and was wondering if I can adjust this valve to increase the...

View more questions Search