Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2005, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Serg
    I wonder if it's possible that I'm going counter-stream. My understanding is that, in Houston (which is where I am), the sewer drains toward the backyard, but let me give you the layout: The only clean out that I have on this side of the house is roughly under the kitchen sink. Going from that point toward the backyard, you come to the washer drain with the 2" P trap feeding into a T, with the top of the T going to vent and the bottom of the T going to the sewer line. That's about 20' from the clean out. When I snake in from the clean out (toward the backyard), I get hung up at about 10' (about halfway to the washer drain). When I snake in from the vent above the washer drain, I get hung up at about 10' after getting to the T (presumably the snake from the roof is going into the sewer line and toward the backyard, so this theoretically is a different point that is downstream of where it gets hung up when I come in from the clean out--is it possible that the snake from the roof is going in the direction opposite when I come in from the clean out and therefore getting hung up in the same place?). Finally, when I come in from the drain line (i.e. thru the P trap), it gets hung up at the T. Based on this description, let me know if u have any other thoughts.

BTW, where would I get one of those cameras?

As a rule city sewer mains are out in the street. I would check this out. If you're snaking against the flow the snake is liable to come up in a toilet. If you're snaking from a roof vent then you're snaking with the flow. If you snake from the outside towards the house you're snaking against the flow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Cleaner in Washer Pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

Would it hurt anything if I tried pouring some drain unclogger like Liquid Plumber in my washing machine drain pipe? It keeps overflowing, but I don't want to create a bigger problem.

Height of drain pipe for washer [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry, but I think this may be a totally rookie question. Instead of having our washing machine discharge into a sanitary tub I added a T to the drain and made a dedicated drain for the washer. The height of the pipe was only about half of the height of the washer itself. Now, when the washer tries...

Replacement drain for 2" copper raiser [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I have tile person coming to pour the new shower pan and tile mysoon to be new shower. All I have left to do is put in a new shower drain. The shower drains through a 2 inch copper pipe. The old brass or iron drain was welded ( I guess) on to the pipe. I knocked the heck out of it with a...

How to run a 3"drain pipe [ 5 Answers ]

The relocation of my upstairs bathroom requires the change of the 3" abs drain pipe. The pipe starts at the toilet, after approx. 3 feet of horizontal run a 2" shower drain is connected with a Y-piece. Then after another 2 feet is a 1 1/2" sink drain connected with another Y pice. After 1 foot of...

Washer Drain pipe leak [ 5 Answers ]

My washer Drain had a pretty serious leak. It is commomed up with a drain from the suite above me right after the drain trap. The day that it leaked the drains were augered as a part of routine building maintenance. The leak stopped on it's own and hasn't leaked since. Can anyone suggest some...

View more questions Search