Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    opiem28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Plumbing questions
    I have a small leak coming from the water connection pipe that runs to the toilet. I tried to tighten the nut where the leak appears to be coming through but I can not tighten it anymore and the leak has not stopped, any suggestions?
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Dec 2, 2009, 08:09 PM

Which nut? The top one at the ballcock or the lower one at the shutoff valve? Does this have a rigid supply tube between the 2 nuts or is it one of those hose type supplies? Need to know a bit more before we can answer accurately.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 08:10 PM

Exactly where is the leak coming from, at the top of the pipe where it attaches to the tank or at the bottom where it attaches to the shutoff. If it is from the top make sure that you did not cross the nut, it is very easy to do with the plastic nuts, if this is what happened you may have to get a new nut and possibaly a new ball cock valve. Also make sure that the leak is not coming from where the ballcock comes through the tank, if so tighten slightly.

Also it might be best for you to buy a new stainless braided commode supply.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Dec 2, 2009, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    <snip>Also it might be best for you to buy a new stainless braided commode supply.
    letmetellu, I don't use those stainless braided hoses any more if possible. We (company I work for) had one burst under a sink. The tubing inside wasn't supported very well by the braid because of the way it was bent, and it gave out after a couple of years. It was NOT kinked.

I still use the white vinyl with the braid inside, but they can get sticky and ugly after a couple of years too. I am gong back to using the 1/4" pex or chrome tubes whenever it isn't too difficult to do so.

To give some gory details on the burst hose, the sink shutoff was frozen tight and they couldn't turn it off. Fortunately staff remembered where the house shutoff was and went for that, but by then the water was out in the hall and down through the ceiling of the bathroom below. What a mess.

EPM
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2009, 08:37 PM

I know what you are talking about on the supplies, I have almost always gone to the pex supplies with the molded end, that way I am not afraid of them pulling out of the faucet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Addition - Various Plumbing Questions [ 15 Answers ]

All- The help I've received on this forum is beyond compare. You guys really make it possible for someone to figure this stuff out. Thanks so much. We are in the planning stages of a relatively small, but plumbing heavy addition to our home. The space is 10' L x52"W and will span three...

Plumbing questions [ 1 Answers ]

I have the following question: 1. Is a flashing kickout at the bottom edge of the roof/wall joint used to help keep water from getting behind the stucco or siding?

Plumbing questions? [ 4 Answers ]

Which of the following types of copper pipe are common to plumbing work?

Basement plumbing questions [ 9 Answers ]

I have a rough in for a basement bathroom and have a few questions... 1. If I am going to put a shower enclosure in, should I frame behind it or just have plastic moisture barrier against the concrete with the fiberglass enclosure over that? 2. The drain to the ejector pit from the shower...

View more questions Search