Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdsutherland1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 01:54 AM
    Flush Valve Flapper on Toilet Snaps Shut
    The Flush Valve Flapper in my toilet snaps shut when I try to flush so that I have to hold the handle down or the flushing cycle stops. Does anyone know what I need to do? I have adjusted the chain to no avail. :mad:

Thanks for any help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit until I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat,(see image). If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. And the little tube wants to run from the ballcock and connect to the white overflow tube..
    Good luck, Tom
    sdsutherland1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks so much for your help! I will check this out for sure!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New flush valve-- toilet tank now wobbles on rubber gasket [ 4 Answers ]

I just put new "guts in two toilets--fill and flush valves. Now the toilet tank doesn't want to "sit" on the bowl. It wobbles a bit with the new rubber gasket as fulcrum. What did I do wrong? Thanks

Shut off valve for toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to install a shutoff valve for the toiled. There's just a screw @ the end of the pipe where a valve should have been. I need to shut off the water to the tank so I can change a flapper.

Toilet shut off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

Cannot shot it off it is frozen in the on position . Cannot shut it off. How can I free it up so it can close. It has been in the position for the last 10 years. Any help will do . Thanks inadvance for the help!:)

Where's toilet shut off valve? [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot find a valve to shut off my constantly running toilet, till the plumber can arrive. Every other place I've lived has had a separate shutoff valve for each toilet, sink, etc. I've looked in, under & around the back of the tank, but there is no valve on the pipe in the bathroom. I've also...

View more questions Search