Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knewsome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Toilet smell in summer and overflow line smell in winter
    In the summer my downstairs toilet smells awful, like sewer, and in the winter the overflow lines for my airconditioning and water heater smell like mold. (they are located in garage) Any ideas about what could possibly be happening? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 03:14 PM

That over flow line is actually a condensate drain line and it can easily have mold growing in the pan below the A coil. Periodic bleaching should eliminate that issue. Now the toilet, does the toilet maintain a full bowl of water all summer or does it ever evaporate dry? Could also be a bad wax ring but that would be year round pretty much.
    knewsome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Thank you. The water level doesn't see to be any different-- I'm home all day most days so, it doesn't really have a chance to get low since I'm flushing the toilet several times a day. There are days when it doesn't smell at all--like today. The overflow lines only smell in the winter and I have poured bleach in those drains but it doesn' t stop the smell from coming through those lines in the winter--- in the summer there is absolutely no smell at all--- It is a really mystery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in basement laundry room after toilet overflow [ 5 Answers ]

Last week the toilet on the first floor clogged and spilled all over the bathroom floor. A little while later, we noticed it had dripped through to the laundry room area of the basement immediately below. Cleaned it up, no problem. Then, this weekend, we started smelling something down in the...

Toilet Overflow- Stinky Smell [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Michigan. We have been slammed with snow, that is just now beginning to melt. Yesterday I noticed, when I wash my basement toilet overflows and lets in a sewer smell:eek: . Then today when I gave my infant a bath and drained the water out the basement toilet overflowed again with the...

Bad Smell in my house during fall and winter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I've lived in my house for 4 year and every year around fall, winter, and spring I get a bad sewage smell in my house. I smell it more at night time and in the morning. When I turn the heat on in my den it appears to smell worse. My house type is cape and was built in 1951 and uses a...

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

Sewer gas smell in summer [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in my townhouse for three years. Each time summer rolls around and I turn on my air conditioner, the house fills with the smell of sewer gas. This doesn't happen all winter long. I have had the sewer rodded all the out to the street. A camera was put into the line and I was told...

View more questions Search