Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RubixCube Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Moen: water always coming from shower head when faucet is on.
    Hi, I just installed a moen l82839 shower/tub assembly. The problem I am having is that when I turn on the water, just to the tub, water comes from the shower head. The knob that turns on the shower head on the faucet is down, noting is leaking otherwise. I don't know what's wrong. Its like there is a small trickle of water going up the shower pipe instead of all the water going out the faucet. Any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubixCube
    Hi, i just installed a moen l82839 shower/tub assembly. The problem i am having is that when i turn on the water, just to the tub, water comes from the shower head. The knob that turns on the shower head on the faucet is down, noting is leaking otherwise. I dont know whats wrong. Its like there is a small trickle of water going up the shower pipe instead of all the water going out the faucet. Any ideas?
    A few. First I want you to remove the spout and then turn the valve on. Let me know if you still have water coming out of the shower head and I'll have a answer for you. Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    A few. First i want you to remove the spout and then turn the valve on. Let me know if you still have water coming out of the shower head and I'll have a answer for you. Regards, Tom
    You're hoping he didn't install it upside down, right?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2006, 05:49 PM
    No, if there's something in the spout that giving him a little back pressure that would give him the situation he's having. The others could be too short a shower raiser, too much house pressure etc. This job will be a process of elimination. I don't think you're going to jump right in with a answer. However, If you have one feel free. Cheers, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    No, if there's something in the spout that giving him a little back pressure that would give him the situation he's having. The others could be too short a shower raiser, too much house pressure ect. This job will be a process of elimination. I don't think you're gonna jump right in with a answer. However, If you have one feel free. Cheers, Tom
    You're probably right, but when I hear of these valves going points up immediately after installation, I usually look at the installation first.

The venturi going up to the shower head is a considerably smaller diameter than the one going down to the spout, if you install it upside down, the smaller venturi will try to push the water to the larger venturi.

Sorry to sound so cynical, but I've come across it too many times to not throw it out there as a possibility.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 06:37 AM
    What about it Rubix? Could you have you installed it upside down?
    Growler presents a interesting question. I know this can happen. Back when I was running condo projects I walked into a unit that the helper had preassembled 8 showers upside down. The two plumbers hadn't caught it yet, and I have no doubts they would have, but the point is the showers were assembed upside down. Could this have happened in your case? Also, and I should have asked this earlier, do you have a PRV,(Pressure Regulator Valve) and have you noticed you have higher water pressure lately? Regards, Tom
    RubixCube Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Well, it was a pressure issue. I had a small 90 installed at the faucet end which inturn created back pressure and forced the water up the shower. I installed a bigger 90 and everything worked out. Thanks for all the replys.
    zanitra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Why is there water coming out of the spout pipe and shower when I turn the water back on?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 04:40 PM

Hi zanitra,
    Start your own thread and give more information about your problem.
    Click on Ask about Plumbing to start new thread.
    TheRodgod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2013, 09:10 PM
    I run in to this in remodeling all the time. Add 4 90 to make a C . Cut the stem to the length of your C and glue,pex,flex copper in the line and this will change the difference in pressure in the stem and adds to stem length. It's a crazy but works fix
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2013, 07:40 AM
    Hi TheRodgod and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AMHD.com. You're responding to a 7 year old dead threads . Please check the date before you post. But we thank you for the input. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom I found the site and registered but I still need my son to reduce the size of the pictures so I can attach them. He took the photo-editing software off my computer. I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks. Mark Ingham

Diverter valve for Moen faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to replace the diverter valve (1225) on the kitchen faucet. Do I need to remove the entire faucet to do this? If so how do I do this? Thanks

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

Water from my Shower Head [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I have a bathtub spout with a diverter on top. I pull up the diverter and water is diverted to the showerhead. But, when the diverter is down, some water still comes from the showerhead continuosly. I unscrewed the spout to check it. While the spout was removed, I turned on the water and some...

Moen Faucet problems [ 3 Answers ]

The Moen faucet in my shower comes away from the wall when the shower is turned to hot and water is diverted through the shower head. How do I fix this problem?

View more questions Search