Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ErnieM Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Weird fix for new toilet not flushing completely.
    We're in the middle of several interlocking projects here, with one of the simpler ones being a toilet bowl replacement. After about three weeks of flawless operation it just refused to flush completely. The water would slowly change out, but even a piece of tissue paper was hard to get to got down.

This morning I snaked the toilet, no improvement. So I shrugged and pulled the whole thing out and set it up on a milk crate in my back yard. I could fill the tank from a hose and watch it flush... and it still didn't not flush completely. I blew out the drain with the hose, even snaked with a 2" piece of foam, no obstructions but no good flush either.

Pulling the tank and looking inside the water feed hole in the seat I see... some fitting for the tank supply tube I never needed that must have dropped inside during shipping. (Hey, I didn't put it there.) It was blocking the strong flow enough to prevent a siphon flush, only enough water came through for a slow change. I only saw this because I put a mirror down the hole on the seat, and I was only looking as I was completely out of any useful ideas what to try next.

Just something else to keep in mind for those weird toilet problems.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 28, 2009, 03:31 PM
    And we thank you for the imput Ernie. We'll bear that in mind for the next "weird" toilet complaint we get. We're just glad you caught it. Regards and thanks again. Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks Ernie for sharing this with us.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet won't flush completely [ 3 Answers ]

Ok here is a tricky one. Our guest bathroom toilet stopped flushing. The swirl is not there and the bowl does not empty and take the waste down. We have pulled the toilet off and snaked it and also snaked the line and found nothing. We have replaced the old toilet with a new one and nothing...

One of my toilets not completely flushing [ 7 Answers ]

My upstairs toilet is not flushing the toilet paper or any matter that is floating other than sinking in my toilet. Why all of a sudden is this happening and what can I do about it?

Toilet not flushing toilet paper! [ 3 Answers ]

Why will our new toilet flush more solid waste but not toilet paper & less solid waste? We have just bought it & are in middle of having bathroom installed & the plumber is blaming the toilet & the fact it is quite narrow at the bottom of the pan inside. It has no trouble with getting rid of other...

Toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced all the insides of my toilet, now when I flush I have to hold the handle down until all the water runs out of the bowl. If not almost as soon as I let the handle go the flapper will cover up the hole that drains the water into the bowl. I know this is easily fixable, but I don't...

View more questions Search