Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlammert Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Male Brass to Female CPVC Threaded Connections
    Hello all,

I have been coming to this site for quite a while and this is the first time I have signed up and posted...

My questions is in regards to a bathroom I am remodeling...

The shower valves are Danze and I have a main shower valve and a 4-port diverter valve that goes to a rain shower head, a hand held shower arm, and two body jets...

I am using CPVC for all my supply lines...

The main shower valve and the 4-port diverter both have male threaded brass fittings for their ins and outs...

I have been searching around this site and others and keep coming up with conflicting advice as to whether I should use CPVC female threaded fittings to connect to the valves... Or, if I should be using copper female threaded fittings and then transition to CPVC...

It seems some people say that the expansion of the male brass fitting will crack the female CPVC fitting... Others seem to say the opposite and feel the brass male and the female CPVC make a tighter better connection...

I am currently using teflon tape around the male brass fitting and female threaded CPVC fittings that have been tightened quite snuggly...

I am willing to swap out if need be; but just wanted to get some honest to goodness answers on this from some professionals...

BTW, I have not drywalled yet...

Thanks everyone!!

Mark
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 07:53 AM

Yes, you are correct: Female CPVC will eventually develop a hair line crack and will leak. Rule of thumb is: Male Plastic Into Female Metal. Not other way around. If your diverter has Male Thread outlets, than simply get 1/2" brass couplings, install them on each outlet, and then install 1/2" Male CPVC into them.

Let us know how you did...

Mar 24, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    If your diverter has Male Thread outlets, than simply get 1/2" brass couplings, install them on each outlet, and then install 1/2" Male CPVC into them.
    Thank you for the quick response... I have been looking on the various Home Depot and Lowe's web sites and I can't seem to find what you are referring to...

Could someone please post a picture of what I should be looking for... I would greatly appreciate it... I have both a Lowe's and Home Depot near me if it makes a difference...

Thank you very much!!

Mark
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 12:28 PM

Is this what your Danze diverter looks like ? See pic...
    Attached Images

Mar 24, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Is this what your diverter looks like ? See pic...
    The picture is small; but yes... Mine looks very similar to that and the inlets and outlets have male threads on them...

Thanks,
    Mark
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 12:35 PM

Ok, if they have Male threaded outlets, then:

Get 1/2" brass coupling for each outlet. Apply teflon tape on Male threads, screw-in coupling - and now you created Female ends on your Danze diverter, you have no more Male thread outlets. From this point on, continue by installing MALE thread CPVC fitting into this new coupling.

It is hard to post photo because it is something you have to make yourself. Here is the coupling...

***Edit: bold indicates correction... ***
    Attached Images

Mar 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
    get 1/2" brass coupling for each outlet. Apply teflon tape on Male threads, screw-in coupling - and now you created Female ends on your Danze diverter, you have no more Male thread outlets.
    This makes perfect sense Milo!! Thank you so much!!

From this point on, continue by installing Female thread CPVC fitting into this new coupling.
    I think you mean male thread CPVC fittings here, correct??

And, I assume that the female brass to male CPVC is okay to use on both hot and cold water inlets/outlets??

Thanks again!!

Mark
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 12:53 PM

Oooops... my mistake ! I corrected my previous post...

Thank you for noticing. It tells me that you are paying attention and that you are building it in your head as we proceed to advise you. Good luck with your project - and stop by if you need any other help ! Milo

Mar 25, 2009, 06:30 AM
    One last question on this topic...

So, last night after work I went home and cut the CPVC pipe and removed the shower valves from the wall... Tonight I am going to stop after work and pick up the new correct adapters...

My question is:

Where I cut the pipe and where I am going to have to connect the new adapters to the existing pipe there is "dried" purple primer and orange CPVC cement on the edges of the CPVC pipe I cut...

Do I need to clean all the old primer and cement off before I re-prime and re-cement when I go to hook the new stuff up?? Or, will the new primer and cement take care of the old stuff??

Thanks,
    Mark
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 06:45 AM

Cut in on straight pipe, away from fittings. You should clean pipe with fine sand paper of mesh cloth. Always use Primer.

I would not recommend to glue new fitting over old glue/primer. Only if you have no room and absolutely have to. In this case, clean it well. With abrasive cloth, you can clean that previously glued joint pretty good.

Good luck with your project . Let us know you it went !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper to cpvc threaded connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I connect cpvc threaded pipe adapters directly to corresponding male or female threaded copper adapters, and, using suitable pipe dope, get good reliable joints? I know there are threaded copper-to-glue cpvc conversion connectors available, but I have on hand a number of copper and cpvc...

19 yo male with a 31 yo female [ 8 Answers ]

Is it wrong for a 19 yo to be with a 31 yo and if not would it work out cz I'm worryed for my friend that it's a bit much can any one help me so I can try and help my friend

CPVC threaded coupling to Brass nipple is leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed a new sink in my garage using CPVC for the plumbing run. Never used CPVC before. Where I came through the wall, I used a CPVC female threaded fitting with ears on it to fasten to the wall stud. I then screwed a 4" brass nipple to it with teflon tape and attached the valve to the...

Teflon tape on threaded brass connections [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed on shower faucets that threaded brass connections were not teflon taped. Should teflon tape be used on threaded brass connections ?

New shower valve has threaded unions, old one has non-threaded soldered supply lines [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new bath/shower two handle 8" spaced valve unit. It has threaded supply unions, but the supply lines are not threaded. What do I need to convert the lines? Can I install stop valve and flexible lines to the threaded valve body hot/cold connections?

View more questions Search