Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigDen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 09:11 PM
    Basement rough in
    I would like to rough in plumbing in my basement for a full bath (toilet, sink, and shower). I live just outside of Chicago so I suspect the plumbing codes are the same as Chicago. Currently in my basement I have two sump pumps and pits, one pump takes care of the drainage around the foundation so I would not touch that one. The second pump pit has a 3" floor drain in the middle of the basement connected to it. My air conditioning condenser is piped to drip into this center drain. This sump pit has a vent pipe that is tied into the existing vent stack that goes out to the roof so I believe I can use this to vent the drains for the new bathroom. Can I install the new pipes and keep a center drain in my basement? If so, what is the best way to tie all of this together? I'm not sure if you can post pics on this forum yet but if a knowledgeable plumber can help me I can show you what I'm looking at doing. I realize I will have to break up the floor in the basment in order to lay the new pipe and I know it's going to be a tough job and a mess but I'm definitely able to do this but I want to make sure I am doing it properly. I also have questions about the pit that my sump pump is in, how can I tell if the pit is an ejector pit and how can I tell if the pump is an ejector pump?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2006, 05:36 AM
    You have a few problems right from jump street. First off a sump pump is not a grinder/ejecter pump and second a sewage holding tank mandates a dedicated vent out the roof since it produces both pressure and vacuum. While you may use existing vents to vent your bathroom group you may not use them to vent the holding tank. If you are willing to install a separate system for the bathroom group I can direct you on the installation. Perhaps you can use the same space that that the floor drain dumps into to replace the sump with a ejector pump and tank and still keep the floor drain and AC indirect drain. And your thoughts? Regards, Tom

Aug 19, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Thanks Tom. I realize an ejector pump is different from a sump pump. What I'm not sure of is whether the pump in the pit is in fact a sump pump or ejector pump. I'm assuming it's a sump pump because I did not ask the builder to rough-in plumbing for a bathroom. So I cannot vent the pump and the bathroom drains using the same vent? This may be a problem for me as I don't know if I can install another vent without having to do too much destruction in other parts of the house. My home is a two story and is only two years old so I'm not sure I want to go ripping out walls on the other floors to setup a new vent. Let me know your thoughts and thanks for not just answering yes or no to my questions.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2006, 04:45 AM
    If venting out the roof presents a problem then consudder venting out the side of the building from the basement and turning up from there.
    You ask. "what is the best way to tie all of this together? I'm not sure if you can post pics on this forum"
    One step at a time and yes, you can put up pictures and attachments on 6this page. I can instruct you on the rough in but first we have to set up a holding tank, grinder pump and dedicated vent. Check around and see if you can pick up a sewage system in your area. If not I can help you on the web. Just let me know. Regards, tom

Aug 21, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Tom. I'm not in a rush to do this so I'd like to get a plan completely together before I do anything else. I understand the need for a vent and I understand I will most likely have to replace my sump pump for an ejector pump. I would like to know how everything ties in before I even consider doing this as it is going to be a considerable amount of work and it's probably not going to be cheap. I'll take some pics this week and post them for you to see what I'm looking at and you can tell me what you think. Thanks. Dennis.

Jun 26, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Tom. I put the basement bathroom rough-in on hold for a while but I'm revisiting the idea again. Since the last time I posted I checked the pump in the pit and it is indeed a sump pump but the pit is a sealed one and can accommodate an ejector pump. I am going to vent the plumbing fixtures by connecting a vent pipe to the vent in the bathroom above on the first floor (above the existing fixtures). I realize I have to open a wall in the bathroom upstairs but I'm willing to do that as I feel the basement bathroom is worth the trouble. If you don't mind I will post some pics in the next few days and I'd like your input as to where the best place to set the bathroom is in the basement. Once I get a clear idea of how everything ties together I can price everything out and see what my costs are going to be. Thanks in advance. Dennis

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement Rough-ins [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 14 years old and it has rough in plumbing in the basement. One for the toilet and one for the shower. Also a stand pipe next to a wall which I assume is the vent. Does the rough in plumbing have the traps below the concrete flooring?

Basement rough [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I have a question about 2 4" pipes coming out of basement slab... one is raised and on is flush... both ate capped and connect directly to street... I'm prettty sure raised one is clanot but not sure about other... both emmit strong gas when caps removed?

Basement rough-in [ 3 Answers ]

I've seen a few of the posts w/ similar topics, and I think I'm on the right track. Just looking for confirmation from some experts. The center of the tub rough in drain is about 15.5" from the wall I'm puttting in and about 2" from the back wall I'm set to screw down. Question is, will a std....

Basement rough-in: dap out [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out if my roughed in bath is missing something or not and wondering if I am going to have to redo any of my framing. I have the 4" and 2" drains in the toilet area and a 12"x12" dap out for the tub. Well I took the cover off the dap out to take...

View more questions Search