Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlccc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Mixing Black (ABS) and White (PVC) pipes
    I have to run new drain pipes for a toilet and sink installation. The sink has white (PVC) drain pipes and the toilet has black (ABS) pipes going into what I believe to be the sewer drain. Can I just connect the white to the black with a tee to drain the sink water? Do I need to vent the sink separately, or will the vent for the toilet be enough.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 09:39 AM

Well, it depends where you are located. In my area, every plumbing fixtures has to have its own vent. In other areas, you can get away with AAV (surface-mounted vent attachment) installed behind the trap and under the sink. You should call your Inspector and ask him what are the Code vent requirements.

To join ABS (black) and PVC (white) plastic pipes you can either use PVC-to-ABS glue or you can use shielded coupling to connect the two.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 03:18 PM

Rule of thumb, if it drains it needs a trap, if it has a trap it needs a vent.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
    Jlccc...

I see that these guys covered the venting.

I will answer about the different pipe types you asked about. You cannot join ABS to PVC by just cementing them together. You need to use a SHIELDED TRANSITION CLAMP (see picture) to go between the different plastics and then run either PVC or ABS from the clamp. You will need a plastic to plastic shielded clamp.

Be sure to use either a multi.purpose cement and primer or use the specific cements/primers for each pipe type. But be clear that you cannot cement PVC to ABS using the multi. Purpose cement... can only cement PVC to PVC and ABS to ABS... ok?

Let me know if have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black & White movie set in America black & white girls become friends on a beach [ 2 Answers ]

As far as I can remember, the girls become friends on a beach and the black girls mother goes to work for the white girls family. The black girl struggles with her relationship with her mother and wants to be treated like a white girl. Does anyone know what the name of this film is? And if I can...

Dead white pitbull (Dexter?) "tells" its story in a black/white French(?) 90's-movie [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I tried for several hours to find the title of this movie on Google and IMDB through countless searches. As I recall, this is quite a strange 1-hour film about a dog (white pitbull called Dexter or Boxer, I think) that sits quietly and still on a chair looking straight at the camera. We can...

Black Bra/White Tee; White Bra/White Tee [ 17 Answers ]

Do you girls usually wear a black bra with a white t-short or do u wear a white bra with a white t-short? Or yellow tee w/ a black bra? Share. I don't get it

White particles clogging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Need help... I noticed white particles in our water and our water pressure began getting weak. A plummer advised me to drain and flush my water heater. I did that until the water ran clear. All faucets work except for the one closest to the hot water heater, well actually I had to take off a...

View more questions Search