Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave_jacobson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Sewage smell in house.
    We are in a house that uses well water and a septic tank. The house had a half-bath designed but the half bath was never finished. There is a pipe for a toilet but there is no toilet attached to the pipe. We had the half bath area carpeted. (Note that the half-bath never had a door put on so it looks like a closet area. Before they laid the carpet down they taped up the end of the pipe. Now if we run the fan in the full-bath on the other side of the unfinished half-bath we smell a raw sewage smell in the half-bath area. Also, if we run the fan in the bathroom downstairs we can smell the raw sewage smell upstairs in the unfinished half-bath. I got down on my knees close to the floor and could not smell the raw sewage smell near the pipe. It seems like the smell is higher up in the room.

I'm not sure if it's related but we have a drain in the basement that we fill with water during the winter.

I am reluctant to rip up the carpet in the half-bath area unless we really need to. Any ideas what the smell could be?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 10:40 PM

You have to properly cap off the toilet drain. Tape will not do. Also, there is a chance that there is a sink drain in the wall and shower drain as well. Cap the off with glue caps or "dollar" plugs. The way you have it now you are creating health hazard for house occupants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting a sewage smell throughout my home. I have a septic system, and recently from the clean out have replaced the piping, new 1000 gal holding tank and drainage, however there is no leach field. I just have a drain pipe emptying the tank. I also have vents on the side of the house but they...

Sewage smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I get a seage smell in my house, the toilet and sink all flush fine but still get the smell. I see that the vent line is going up the wall on out side of house it about 8-10 feet up the wall should this ven be up over the roof? How far up on roof? THANKS

Sewage smell under house near bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

My house has base floors, and there is a bad sewage smell reaking near one of our bathrooms. I checked for leaks even crawled under the house and nothing. Even checked the P-trap to make sure it was full. The smell comes and goes but is most common around hot weather. 2 plumbers have already...

Sewage Smell All Over the House [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all of the forums posted on this subject, but none seem to relate to my exact problem. My dad and I built this house in 2002. The plumber we hired was very good. My plumbing is all in the concrete slab. However, I am getting a sewage smell throughout the house with no obvious...

View more questions Search