Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 10:06 PM
    Oatey Brass No-Calk Shower Drain ?'s
    I will be installing a 36" x 36" cultured marble shower pan over a wooden subfloor (I live in a condo) and plan on using an "Oatey Brass, No-Calk Shower Drain" (pn 42150) because I will not have any access from below during the installation process.

Seeing that I cannot afford to have this installation leak, I plan on adding caulking in several places to keep this set-up from leaking because of lack of mechanical compression after install:

1. on the area of the body where the threads of the body and the lockring meet on the underside. This will not be applied to the threads prior to assembly but afterwards. This is to keep the lockout from backing out.

2. between the lip of the drain body and the drain opening of the shower pan (this is obvious)

3. between the outer edge of the drain pipe, the top of the compression gasket, and the lockring.

4. a few of the notches of the lockring and the drain body to keep the lockring from backing out.

Can someone verify if the application of silicone caulking in #3 will have any adverse effects on the rubber compression gasket by causing it to dry out, etc?

Also, can anyone share their experiences in using this product in their installations?

Thanks so much.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Brass drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am completing a bar unit which is using an existing drain waste system. I have seen a thin walled brass drain pipe at my local plumbing store and would like to use this but when I have tested it I cannot get a good seal and continually get small leaks. The pipe has a threaded collar at one end...

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

Leaking of drain from shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that my shower drain was leaking under house. I don't know much about plumbing but want to know what could cause this and how it can be fixed. Thanks

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.