Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shivauna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2006, 10:46 PM
    Draining shower causing bubbling toilet
    My basement shower/bathtub, when draining, is resulting in bubbing in the toilet next to it! Would the obvious answer be due to hair clogging the shower drain or would it be further down the line leaving the house? What are a few home rememdies I could do before getting a snake or plumber?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivauna
    My basement shower/bathtub, when draining, is resulting in bubbing in the toilet next to it! Would the obvious answer be due to hair clogging the shower drain or would it be further down the line leaving the house? What are a few home rememdies I could do before getting a snake or plumber?
    The bubbling in your toilet would indicate that you have a partial blockage downstream from the toilet.
    Your drainage works like this. The tub/shower drains into the lavatory drain and is wet vented by the lavatorys vent. The lavatory drains into the toilet drain which in turn connects to the house main.
    So what happens is that when the tub drains the discharge drains into the toilet drain, hits the partial clog and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it. If the clog were in the lavatory line you would hear a noise from the lavatory trap but since it's in the toilet drain you see the bubbles. About the only way to get at this clog would be, (1) to pull the toilet and send a snake down the closet bend **or** (2) The easiest with less mess would be to snake out the line from the lavatory roof vent.
    You can try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour a gallon of bleach down the shower drain and close off the bathroom until morning. If you must use the toilet don't flush it. Next morning, and this is important, pour two large pans of boiling water down the drain to flush the clog out inti the house main. If that don't get it, time to snake out the line. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help!2 shower backup, bubbling, burping toilet [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a 50 year old house (just moved in 6 months ago). The two downstairs bathrooms are located immediately next to each other. Never have had problems with either. We live in So California, where there's been plenty of rain and in the last 24 hours we've had a new storm, which cleared up...

Toilet bubbling [ 1 Answers ]

I Just purchased a 55 year old house. The upstairs toilet bowl was empty for some reason but the tank was full. This toilet was disgusting so I replaced it. I have noticed that when I flush this new toilet on the upper floor a large air bubble comes out of the toilet bowl in the toilet in the...

Bubbling from toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single story slab home. Washing machine in attached garage. Two bathrooms with the toilets backed up to each other on the same wall. Also city sewer. I notice every 3-6 months, I'll notice 2 problems, not necessarily at the same time. 1.) I'll wake up and notice that my bathtub is...

Bubbling Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. For the past couple of months, we've noticed that when we flush the toilet upstairs, water bubbles up in the toilet in the basement. In fact, it is so explosive sometimes that water hits the closed lid. The home was built in the 60s and the basement toilet was added in the 70s. This problem...

Shower drain causing Toilet overflow [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing the commode in my bathroom, the old commode is removed and that leaves the toilet hole exposed, for the time being. During this time, water in the shower is turned on. The shower is about 4 feet away from the toilet. About 15 minutes later, water starts seeping...

View more questions Search