Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicks60610 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Delta 1400 Series Single handle shower
    I recently replaced the cartridge on my Delta 1400 series monitor single-handle faucet, and everything seem to have gone in to place OK, I did have some trouble removing the handle and the clamp brass ring initially as it had not been moved since installation (2002), but now when I turn on the water on the back of the panel for the shower, water is squirting out towards me, away from the faucet opening and back towards the water valve, so my guess is that there is a leak somewhere on the copper piping going in to the shower, is there a quick and easy way to determine where and what can I Do to repair this, do I need to call a plumber? :confused:

Thanks,
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Before you call a plumber remove the cartridge inspect the O rings for damage and inspect the housing for any crack, replace the O rings if any damage, install the cartridge back and check if it works, Good Luck.

John

Aug 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Thanks John I will try that, is it possible the o rings could be bad even though I replaced the cartridge with a brand new, or are you thinking of the O ring that goes behind the brass coupling which holds the fixture in place?
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Hi nicks,

It is possible the O ring can be damaged during installation or bad from stock, please click on the link below and tell me if this is your faucet, Thaks.

John

http://www.deltafaucet.com/media/Pro..._1400_5a03.pdf

Aug 25, 2008, 10:12 AM
    That is the same model, so you're thinking if they are bad, the water would come "back the other way" rather than flow in to the cartridge, makes sense, thanks John!
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Let me ask you why did you change the cartridge in the first place ?

Aug 25, 2008, 10:16 AM
    The faucet was dripping when it was off, and I called Delta and they said it is likely either the springs in the cartridge, or the whole unit, so I figured it would be easier to replace the whole cartridge rather than to take it apart and replace springs.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 10:27 AM
    OK good, before installation did you check the cartridge that there was no damage or any seal or O ring missing. I suggest to give it a try remove the cartridge inspect it see if you find any thing obvious, especially the big O ring to be inspected for damage, regardless I will take it back to the store for replacement, I am sure the other experts will be online soon and will give you some other advices, good luck.

John
    RookKev Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Suffering almost identical problem here. Was curious of any answer ever discovered...

First post was a test. My issue with the shower is the same in that I had a progressively growing leak from shower head when shower was turned off. After trying to replace just the springs and caps, and going to an even larger leak... assumed from not aligning perfectly, I went and just bought a new replacement cartridge. It has slowed the leak down to a near acceptable level, but I am disappointed it's not completley gone.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the actual plumbing hardware the cartridge plugs into. But I would think the small orings that the plugs go into would stop any leaks from going on there, especially being brand new...

Quite confused at this point.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2009, 06:44 AM
    Nicks and Rook, When you guys replaced the cartridge did you balso replace the seats and springs?
    When you replaced the cartridge did you lube the "O" rings with Silicon Jel so they wouldn't bind on the valve body and roll out of position or damage the "O"ring causing a leak? Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove single valve handle - Delta Shower [ 48 Answers ]

I've got the Seats & Springs to fix a leaky Delta Monitor 1400 Series faucet (and the water is turned off), and am stuck at the very beginning. The handle is a single lever, it appears that the Set Screw is missing. I've tried twisting the lever and pulling without success - not knowing which is...

Dripping single handle delta bathtub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Have any ideas on how I repair this dripping problem? I have an indication that I need to replace a washer or "O" ring, but don't know how to get to those pieces. Help

Dripping Delta Single-handle kitchen faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single-handle Delta kitchen faucet that will not stop dripping. I did some research online and learned to buy a replacement kit to replace the interior workings of the faucet. I have done that, and have replaced every interior part, both O-rings, the springs and seals (which I am told is...

Removing Delta bathtub/shower single handle faceplate [ 7 Answers ]

I am trouble-shooting a tub and shower that has gone to low flow, and I suspect I need to get at the mixer cartridge. I've got the faucet removed (white plastic pipe in pictures) and have gotten down to the faceplate, which is two pieces: the circular one in the center, and the larger...

Where to Buy Delta Shower Handle? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been looking EVERYWHERE to buy this Delta Shower Handle ONLY. The previous owners must have taken the handle before they left, and I do not have the handle for the showers at my Condo. :eek: Someone please help me locate a place to buy the handle (#1 and #2 in the attached picture) at an...

View more questions Search