Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunxnumber7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Loud noise after flushing toilet
    When I flush the upstairs toilet it gives out a noise similar to a ships horn. This will sometimes continue after it has finishedflushing and even sounds as though it is moving down the pipes. How can I sort this please?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 25, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dunxnumber7
    When I flush the upstairs toilet it gives out a noise similar to a ships horn. This will sometimes continue after it has finishedflushing and even sounds as though it is moving down the pipes. How can I sort this please?
    Sounds like a ballcock problem to me. I'm going to assume that you have the float ball type ballcock, (see image) and go from there.

Shut the water off under the tank and take the tank lid off. Unscrew the three screws on the top and lift the float and stem assembly up and pry out the washer and turn it over, Make sure it's seated firmly when you put it back in. now turn the water back on for a few seconds to flush out the supply. Reassemble, turn the water back on and give it a flush. Noise better now? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud rumbling noise in floor when flushing the toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have two bathrooms side by side on the top floor and one downstairs on the main floor. When flushing the toilet in one of the bathrooms on the top floor, you hear and feel a loud rumble in the floor in the bathroom beside it. We replaced the toilet in the downstairs bathroom a few...

Loud noise/ vibration after flushing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a situation where a loud noise comes from the plumbing in the wall after you flush and the water fills back up. The noise starts after the water is full and it shuts off. If the toilet is used often the noise/ vibration does not happen. But if it's only used once in awhile as soon as the...

Loud Knocking Noise After Flushing Toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I flushed my toilet and it made this terrible knocking noise for abou 5 minutes striaght even after it was flushed. It was so loud I couldn't believe it. What could be wrong?

Loud sound when flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I get this loud humming sound when I flush my toilet for a minute or less, what could it be?

Loud noise when flushing toilet [ 1 Answers ]

There is a loud noise when I flush my toilet. I have learned that turning on the bath water causes the loud noise to not occur, or to stop mid noise. The noise seems to getting louder and longer with time. I appreciate any assistance troubleshooting this problem.

View more questions Search