Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carpringle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2006, 03:51 PM
    Sink and tub drain problems
    My bathroom sink has been very, very draining slowly. I tried plunging my sink and I tried drano without much effect. Now, water from my bathtub seems to be filling the sink when it drains.

I want to try to snake the sink drain, but I'm worried about causing more problems with bathrub drain. I don't know anything about how the two connect.

Can anyone give me any advice about doing this myself?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carpringle
    my bathroom sink has been very, very draining slowly. I tried plunging my sink and i tried drano without much effect. now, water from my bathtub seems to be filling the sink when it drains.

i want to try to snake the sink drain, but i'm worried about causing more problems with bathrub drain. i don't know anything about how the two connect.

can anyone give me any advice about doing this myself?
    Most tubs and showers connect into the lavatoty drain where they will be wet vented. To snake out the lavatory drain and clear both the tub and the lav you will have to snake from the lavatory vent on the roof. This vent should be located directly above the bathroom. Rent a Ridgid K-50 or equivalent and drop your cable down the vent until it hits the base and then put out about 20 feet more. Then flush out the line with hot water. Good luck Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain - Venting Problems. [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings. I am having drainage problems in my kitchen sink. We just purchased this home, it is just around 100 years old. The kitchen sink does not drain, or technically, it drains extremely slowly (20 hours or so). The main stack is ancient iron pipe: see this image:...

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Extending utility sink drain for bar sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a utility sink in my walk-out basement - that sink's 1.5 inch drain connection is approx. 18" above the floor, into a two inch horizontal run. This 2 inch horizontal PVC runs about 3 feet, then connects to a main 3" DWV. I would like to add a bar sink, set into a standard height (36")...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

New sink drain 2" off from existing drain [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry for the dumb novice question, but thanks in advance for the advice. My new lavatory sink's drain is 2" away from lining up with the existing p- trap drain pipe. I REALLY don't want to cut off the whole p-trap drain to install a new one that would fit where I need it (as someone has...

View more questions Search