Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MARTCJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Install shower deck in a copper shower pan
    I already have a copper shower pan installed. I need to know do I just put decks mud in, or should I put in a pre-slope layer, then a vinyl liner, then final deck mud. In know a vinyl liner alone would have been best, but the copper is already there.

I would greatly appreciate any advice with this problem.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Hi Martcj:

Is this a new copper pan.. If it is all you need to do is to test the copper pan by plugging the drain with a test ball (see picture... sold at plumbing supply house) and then fill the pan with water to the level of the threshold and then hold that test overnight (up to 24 hours) to be sure there are no leaks associated with the copper pan or the drain connection to it.

Then after test, just need to pour the mud floor (2-3") and pitch that to the drain at about 1/4" per foot of slope. Laticrete sells a superior thick floor mud for shower pans... extermely strong. Some people add a layer of chicken wire into the mud bed... up to you on this.

If this is an old pan then I would still perform the pan test (using water).. if there is any question about pan lasting I would remove the copper pan and install a new vinyl pan. If rip out copper pan and install vinyl membrane I would prepitch about 1" of mud to drain BEFORE installling the membrane (tar paper between 1" pitched mud and membrane to reduce abrasions to membrane)... then after vinyl pan installed I would wait 12 hours for membrane adhesives to dry, and then I would water test the pan as described above for up to 24 hours... then pour the pan as described above.

I would not install a vinyl liner inside a concrete pan... ;) I just don't see how you could make a useful/waterproof connection between the copper pan drain and the new vinyl membrane... that make sense?

NO screws go below the threshold for anything... ok??

Here is a link you may find useful... (click on link)

How to Build a Shower Pan

Let us know if you have more questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPVC v/s copper for new shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently installing a shower in my basement and everything has went smoothly so far. My question is, does it matter whether you use copper lines or CPVC line as the water feed lines on a new install? (By that I also mean between the shower head and the faucet) Most showers I've seen in...

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

Shower base gone, now how to get this copper flange off? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks to Ballengerb1 and Tom for answering my question about getting the shower concrete/stone aggregate shower pan out. I hit it a little harder and it shattered just fine. The shower pan is removed and I am left with the copper drain pipe and some type of flange stuck on the outside. I...

Building a tub deck and shower enclosure [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I am not sure if this s/b in this section or in plumbing, so I will post it in both. We are adding a whirlpool tub to our bathroom addition and it requires a tub deck. The exterior walls are all framed and insulated (Icynene). Should I rock the walls first and then build the...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

View more questions Search