Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harl Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Toilet flange
    Hi, I'm putting a new floor in the bathroom. The tolet flange is higher by 1/4 in on one side and 1/2 in on the other above the floor I'm going to put ceramic tile down. Do I need to level it out or bring the floor up around the flange? Thanks Tim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by harl
    Hi, I,m putting a new floor in the bathroom. the tolet flange is higher by 1/4 in on one side and 1/2 in on the other above the floor I'm going to put ceramic tile down. Do I need to level it out or bring the floor up around the flange? thanks Tim

Hi Tim,

Your first order of business should be to level up the flange. Is it the stub-up, the flange or both that's not level? What material is rhe flange made of? Once leveled the flange can set a little under the floor level and still work great since the bowl has a 4" horn that extends below the floor. Good luck, Tom
    harl Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 07:40 AM
    The flange is metal. I'm not sure what a stub up is but the pipe is abs and I think that is what is not completely strait. The flange is sticking above the floor and even with the tile it will be.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Tim,
    A stub-up/stub-out is any pipe sticking out of a wall or the floor that connects to something. It can be either drainage or supply.
    In your case I would finish off the floor. After you complete the floor get back to me with the new measurements of how the flange's setting and I'll instruct you further. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What toilet flange to use? [ 9 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in an old house. The floors are concrete, and right now there is just what looks to be a cast-iron waste line that runs up through the concrete for the toilet. The inside opening of the pipe is 3 1/2" in diameter. What flange do you recommend for this? I can only find 3"...

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realized as I was installing the subfloor in my new bathroom that I had cut off the pvc to short. It is slightly lower that the subfloor. Is there a longer flange which will solve this problem or should I remove the floor add a coupling and more pvc to raise the height? Thanks, m2

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing tile in bathroom so the toilet flange is now about approx. 1/2" below the tile. Do I have to remove the toilet flange or are there extensions?

Toilet flange HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I need some good professional advise. My toilet was leaking and I removed it to find that the toilet flange was broken on one side. The flange and lower pipe appear to be cast iron 4 inch. I must replace some of the damaged flooring but am at a loss as to how to remove the cast iron flange from...

Toilet flange [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of re-settin my toilet, It is located in the basement and the toilet flange sits on top of the ceramic tile. It is not flush with the tile. I have reset the toilet three times using various thickness of wax. These only last so long. I have purchased a wax free bowl gasket...

View more questions Search