Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BayCo Bill Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 03:26 PM
    John deere spindle replacement
    I have a John Deere X300 and did some " stump grinding"by mistake and cracked the Spindle on the mower deck (42"). Last time we did this the deck cost almost $1000 (USD) to repair and the dealer said cannot repair have to replace. The spindle is a $53(USD) item... I just want to know where to find the instructions to dismantle the old one and replace the new one... would love to get a tech manual but cannot seem to find one and John deere has been less than helpful... can anyone at least point me in the right direction... other than not to do stump grinding with the mower deck... Thanks
    blacktalon Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Jun 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
    This is an easy fix. I had the same thing happen to me with my John Deere and your right, the Deere people are not very helpful. Buy you a new spindle, remove deck from tractor, remove broken spindle, replace new spindle, replace deck and mow like crazy.

Jun 14, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktalon
    This is an easy fix. I had the same thing happen to me with my John Deere and your right, the Deere people are not very helpful. Buy you a new spindle, remove deck from tractor, remove broken spindle, replace new spindle, replace deck and mow like crazy.

Thanks... the problem is that I cannot remove the pulley wheel from the top of the spindle. The nut/washer combination seems to be unmoveable. Am I missing something simple to facilitate the removal?? I guess what I really need to know is how to get the pulley wheel OFF the top of the spindle... Thanks...

Jun 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BayCo Bill
    Thanks...the problem is that I cannot remove the pulley wheel from the top of the spindle. The nut/washer combination seems to be unmoveable. Am I missing something simple to facilitate the removal??? I guess what I really need to know is how to get the pulley wheel OFF the top of the spindle...Thanks.....
    Do you have the convertible or freedom model?

Jun 15, 2008, 06:12 AM
    I believe it is a freedom model... cannot find exact info in my paper work... have a good fathers day if applicable...

Jun 15, 2008, 07:59 AM
    I believe it is a freedom model....cannot find exact info in my paper work......have a good fathers day if applicable....
    Thanks and same to you if applicable. The Freedom model has no chute for the grass to be expelled like the convertible model.

Jun 15, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Then I do have the convertible model... I cannot get the darn nut on the top of the pulley off! There must be something Im missing... How do I get the damn nut off?? Thanks again...

Jun 15, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Then I do have the convertable model.....I cannot get the darn nut on the top of the pulley off!! there must be something Im missing....How do I get the damn nut off???? Thanks again...
    I would recommend heating it with a torch if it's that tight. When I had to change mine I didn't have any trouble at all. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John deere 314 [ 5 Answers ]

When I try to engage my deck the tractor starts to die. When I click the deck off it runs without problems what's up?

John Deere 160 [ 2 Answers ]

I took the floating deck off, when I put it back on, it will not move. I have an owner's manual, but it's no help. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of how to reattach the deck? THanks, AWE

John Deere 318 not getting gas [ 3 Answers ]

I have a john deere 318 and I have replaced the fuel pump and clean out the gas tank and put new gas in and I am not getting gas to the carbeurator. It cranks up hwen I put some gas in the carbuerator but only stays running for a few seconds

John deere lx 288 [ 1 Answers ]

Blades won't engage and when you try to engage them the mower wants to quit running.

View more questions Search