Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbriggs Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 09:10 AM
    I have NO Hot water pressure at all !
    [F]
    I have NO hot water pressure in my house at all . The cold water is fine but when I turn on any knob to hot water it doesn't come out at all. Why is this? :confused:
    Thank you for the help in advance
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 09:14 AM
    From what you describe this means there is something bad at the heater or its supply so lets start there. Attach a small length of garden hose to the drain spout at the bottom of the heater, direct the hose to a floor drain and open the spout. Do you have hot water under good pressure for several minutes?
    sbriggs Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 09:23 AM

Ok I will have to wait for mu hubby to get home before I do that! What if I don't have hot water at a good pressure for several minutes?
    Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 11:04 AM
    We would then check the next two things on the heater. #1 we'll check the supply to make sure the heater is getting 40psi of cold supply water. #2 we'll check the port and valve at the top of the heater to make sure water can leave the heater still at 40 psi. Double check that valve at the top now to be sure it is 100% open, turned counterclockwise.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbriggs
    [F]
    I have NO hot water pressure in my house at all . The cold water is fine but when I turn on any knob to hot water it doesnt come out at all. Why is this? :confused:
    thank you for the help in advance
    Does your heater have heat trap nipples,(see image) coming out of the top of the heater? If so change them out for brass ipples. Let me show you how to flush out your water heater.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pressure disapeares [ 4 Answers ]

Recently we added a new master bath all 3/4/ feeds,reduced at fixtures to 1/2/. Now whenever we flush toilet in exsisting bath we have no pressure anywere

Water haeter pressure valve leaking and new meter [ 3 Answers ]

My water heater's pressure relief valve started leaking today. A few days ago the city installed a new meter. The city says the new meter has a electronic reader and that no other changes were made. Of course, I did have some air in the lines initially-could that have caused my valve to go bad? ...

No Hot Water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how I can fix my water problem at home. For the past year or so I have absolutaly no hot water pressure in my kitchen sink and or some other areas of the house, bathroom, shower etc.. I have had a few plumers come by and they tell me...

Low Hot Water pressure on 2nd floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a drop in hot water pressure on the second floor of my home. The first and basement have not been effected. Any thoughts on a cause would be greatly appreacited. Thank Pete

Low hot water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low hot water pressure, throughout the house. The water heater is less than six months old. Any ideas?

View more questions Search