Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    la1401 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
    How to cut cast iron pipe.
    Im trying to get a fairly straigh cut on the cast iron 2 inch pipe that I accessed through a hole in the concrete foundation. Short of making the hole entirely to large to use my saws all, I don't know what to do!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Still trying to get that Twist-N-Set flange to fit right? You can chisel the pipe at the floor level or put your SawsAll almost horizontal and use some pressure to bend the blade just a bit to make it slide back and forth on the concrete. It will wear out the blade a bit more quickly but you will get your flush cut. I have an old Sears reciprocating saw that allow you to rotate the head and do flush cutting, that's all Iuse it for now.

May 15, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Nope not working on that toilet now. I got that where I need it until I get the floors in. Im working on the bathtub right now. Had to move the shower drain over a bit to fit it to a bathtub. I have the hole cut in the concrete, but I have to cut the cast iron pipe down a bit, so the saws all won't get in there. I read in another thread about the cast Iron rachet cutter. Someone said you can rent it?? Not sure.

May 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Yes, that's a tool that you can rent for just a few hours. You will not need to trench very deep around the pipe so it won't be too difficult. Ask the guy at the rental store to show you how it works, not hard at all but I'm not sure you need to do this. Now you could just SawsAll that 2" drain line by digging a shallow hole for the blade to go back and forth and then transition to PVC with a Fernco coupler.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Hey guys... one more idea.

Could also use a die grinder (see pic.) with a diamond wheel. You may need to make this up...

Or could use an inside cutter tool (see pic.) and regular drill and change out the pvc cutting wheel with a diamond wheel.. and then cut on outside of pipe... ;)

Both these options will keep you from opening the floor too wide! Otherwise, sawzall is best option here (lennox makes a NEW diamond sawsalll blade that will cut this in two or three minutes! ).

Bob's right... DON'T use the ratchet snap cutter here... not worth the time/effort.

Never mind could crush the pipe... requires more room then simply using sawsall below floor (have to move the lever arm in an arc of motion that exceeds what you might expect).

Let me know what you think... Mark

Attached Images

May 15, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Thanks so much for the train of thought. I was able to dig a big enough trench under the foundation so I could fit the saws all down there. A metal blade for the saws all cut through it in about 15 minutes.

I just needed ballengerb1 and massplumber2008 to put me on the right path. I wish I would have had that diamond blade, but Its done and I'm glad.

Thanks a bunch.

May 16, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Let us know if you need any help with making the transition or anything else. Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

CAN anyone tell me the best way to cut some 5" cast iron pipe in place? I'm in the middle of a remodel and looking for the easiest and fastest way to cut it so I can install PVC up to the old cast iron via a flexible boot. Thanks , Matt

Replace cast iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I need to cut out about 10 feet of cast iron pipe and replace it with pvc 2 questions how do I cut this old pipe ? And what should I use to splice in the pvc I was thinking a sawsall to cut it out and rubber boots to splice it back together with the pvc Thanks David

PVC to cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I am cutting out a 4 foot section of 4" cast iron stack pipe and installing a pvc cleanout and a y section of pvc near the top. I have already installed riser clamps on top and bottom. What can I use to adapt the pvc to the cast iron? I have seen some guys say rubber donut types or with...

Cast iron soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify some questions I have on oakum/lead joints I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old. I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem... ...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

View more questions Search