Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cappy603 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Putting a trap in a septic pipe
    I wish to drain my water softener into my septic pipe in the basement .The problem is , there is no laundry in the basement. My question is , can I cut into the PVC septic pipe that runs along the wall , put in a P trap, and have that work correctly? Or is it a must to have this vented ?any help would be great... Mike
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cappy603
    I wish to drain my water softener into my septic pipe in the basement .The problem is , there is no laundry in the basement. My question is , can i cut into the PVC septic pipe that runs along the wall , put in a P trap, and have that work correctly? Or is it a must to have this vented ?any help would be great .....Mike
    EVERY fixture that has a trap MUST be vented. But before you do that check with the building department. In some areas it's against the law to discharge anything except gray water and sewage into the Public Sewer System. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 8, 2008, 06:19 AM
    After you check with the city about that water softener discharging into septic.. may also want to ask if they allow AAVs in your area.

An AAV is a Air Admittance Valve that acts as a mechanical vent (spring loaded)... see picture.

If allowed, you would cut a WYE fitting into the pvc septic pipe, install a trap and the AAV.

See the other picture (ignore the sink)... can install like pictured (AAV should be about 6 to 12" above trap)... or can also install on the vertical.

Le us know what you think... Mark

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small leak starting in the elbow of the pipe. It is a cast iron pipe about 70 years old. How can I temporary seal this until I am able to have it replaced. Is there some past that can be spread on the pipe to seal the crack.

PVC septic access pipe broken off in union joint. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We recently bought an older (54 yrs) home with a septic system. The tank was replaced 14 years ago and has a PVC access pipe on top of it. This pipe was broken off in the union (am I using that term right? I'd call it a collar, but I'm not a plumber) set in the top of the tank before we...

Can I install an inline trap between shower and septic? [ 1 Answers ]

Before you jump all over me about code violations, let me preface this by explaining that this is a house in the Caribbean and what plumbing there is would never pass code in the US or elsewhere (and don't ask me about the electric!). The shower is installed without a P-trap below the drain. It...

Septic drainage pipe - Where to find? [ 1 Answers ]

We are experiencing a septic drainage situation. Apparently our drainage line is at a "too steep" of an incline and the drainage rushes to the end which doesn't allow proper absorption into the ground. My husband wants to extend the current line using a type of pipe with styrofoam and netting...

How to install a running P-trap in septic system [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have a country place that we go to for about 4 months of the year. It is on a septic system. The system was put in in 1998. Everything works fine with one exception. After we have been in the country place for about 6 weeks, the septic begins to smell. There is some slight...

View more questions Search