Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    condodwellerk Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Leak inside wall
    I live in a lower unit in a condo building. My upstairs neighbor had her water heater go out and it leaked inside her closet for a couple of days before she realized what was happening. The first day it leaked, I noticed a rivulet of water coming through the seam of my tub surround, which is against the wall that is under one side of her water heater closet. On the other side of the wall is my dining room. The floor was wet next to that wall. I could hear a slow drip inside the wall -- at about 5 second intervals -- and thought it was a leaky pipe. It was Easter Sunday and I had to wait until Monday to get a plumber over. By then, my neighbor and I figured out what the real problem was. The plumber replaced her water heater and all was well. I asked him if I should be concerned about mold or dry rot inside the wall and he said that a drip for two days would not be a problem -- that it would just dry out. Is he right, or should I cut through my dry wall and put some dry packs in the cavity? Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2008, 10:08 AM
    I wouldn't start tearing into walls just yet. I would it dry out and then continue to sniff around where it used to ne wet. If you can smell any mold then open up the wall and treat the mold. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain vent ends inside wall? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had my house supply water lines replaced. At that time I asked the plumber if he could rough in a sink in the garage. I was about to replace the insulation and seal up the sheetrock hole where he added the new pipes when I noticed the drain vent pipe goes about 5 feet up the inside of...

Inside wall plumbing size requirement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing plumbing for a full bath and next to it is a 1/2 bath in the basement. I'm ready to run the pipes up into the 2x4 walls. Can I continue through the walls with a 2 inch vent pipe or does this size need to be reduced? I will be connecting to a 2 inch vent that is run separately up and...

Venting into an inside wall [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a YURT. We are building rooms inside. We do NOT want to put any holes in the walls or roof for the bathroom vent, but DO want an inside bathroom. Would it work if we vented between the walls? Where we live, a composting toilet is not an option. Thank you for any advice on how...

Running water sound inside the wall [ 2 Answers ]

Water running sound inside the wall pipes going upstairs.

View more questions Search