Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spartatigger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Toilet tank has new ballcock assembly, 2 months later makes hissing noise
    Two months ago my toilet suddenly stopped flushing. I replaced the old ballcock and float assemply and water fill tube and it worked fine. Two months later it now makes a hissing noise that started today. I checked the flapper, it's OK, I checked the fill line, it's OK. There is not any water seeping or trickling in the fill pipe so I don't know what's wrong unless it is the new ballcock/float assembly may be bad. I turned off the water to the toilet and the hissing stopped so I turned it back on and it started hissing again. I checked for leaking pipes and didn't find any. Could my brand new 5 yr warranted ballcock and float assembly be bad? The hissing is more an annoyance than a problem but fact is it shouldn't make any noise at all.:confused:
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Hey spartatigger:

Does your valve look like this? Or similar?

If it is... shut off the water to toilet, then push down on CAP and ARM assembly and rotate counterclockwise. Lift the cap off unit (place to right toward overflow tube)... then remove the blcak platic washer... just pull it up... then put towel over valve and pulse the water on to clear any debris from the valve. Then clean washer with water and replace. Then re-install washer, then the cap/arm assembly (push down/rotate clockwise) and turn water on to test. That hissing sound should be gone.

If not, then need to replace that black washer (available at home supply stores).. OR may need to replace the flapper??

Hissing sound usually caused by something caught under washer... happens once in awhile... varied reasons.

If this is not your valve or similar, then need to get back to us.. ok?

If this helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

Attached Images

JAMESJOHNK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hey spartatigger:

Does your valve look like this? Or similar?

If it is...shut off the water to toilet, then push down on CAP and ARM assembly and rotate counterclockwise. Lift the cap off unit (place to right toward overflow tube)...then remove the blcak platic washer...just pull it up...then put towel over valve and pulse the water on to clear any debris from the valve. Then clean washer with water and replace. Then re-install washer, then the cap/arm assembly (push down/rotate clockwise) and turn water on to test. That hissing sound should be gone.

If not, then need to replace that black washer (available at home supply stores)..OR may need to replace the flapper?!?!?!

Hissing sound usually caused by something caught under washer...happens once in awhile...varied reasons.

If this is not your valve or similar, then need to get back to us..ok?

If this helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

I am not a "do-it-yourself'er". My 5-year-old toilet fit this description perfectly, and this solution worked very easily. Thanks a lot.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Thank you for letting us know... glad we could help!

MARK
    Hawkleader Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 12:23 AM
    This worked for me! There was actually pieces of tiny black particals under the cap and when I followed your instructions I was able to remove them (using tweezers). Thanks for the advice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Hi Hawk and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com
    We're happy you located the problem and we thank you for the update. If we can ever help in the future just ask, good luck, Tom
    waterlass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Thank you so much for placing your knowledge on the web. Your instructions were clear and the best part, it worked.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Always glad to see our work being used successfully! Thanks for the update!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to change ballcock in toilet cistern [ 11 Answers ]

How do I do this - need to do it because existing ballcock is covered in limescale and toilet flushing very slowly

Toilet makes loud noise and spews water from inside tank [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, My toilet has been making a loud noise for a long time now - When its flushed, it sounds like a crazy hyenna sound. This sounds lasts for about ten seconds, quite a long time really. When I take the lid off the tank, it spews a single stream of water at me. So, I assume some sort of valve is...

Ballcock in header tank renewal [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to change ballcock on hot water header tank have shut off valves under sink and in airing cupboard but still have water going into tank why?

Toilet makes screeching noise while being flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new apartment and the bathroom is brand new. I noticed a screeching noise(like fingernails on a blackboard, ouch!) that last for about 30 seconds when the toilet is flushed and was wondering if this can be fixed. Thank you.

View more questions Search