Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dale1947 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Leaking copper hot water pipe in ceiling between in attic of 2nd story home
    March 9th 2008, has leak in copper hot water pipe. Pipe is between the 2nd story ceiling and attic. Had is repaired by licensed plumber same date.

New leak discovered today (a week later - March 16th) same copper pipe, but different location. About three feet removed from first leak.

Home is about 15 years old.

Afraid the leaks will continue based on this week history.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Hi Dale:

Sounds like you might have a bad batch of copper pipe there... or at least a bad length or two. Have plumber come back, have him cut out bad parts and show them to you. If they are paper thin (plumber can tell you) then may need to change over the horizontal sections of copper in house.

Here, plumber cuts out horizontals in attic and replaces with copper pipe or the even cheaper but better PEX pipe and fittings (latest and greatest stuff around! ) and then attaches to the vertical drops to fixtures. That would eliminate a significant bunch of bad piping... cross fingers regarding verticals, but again, once you guys get a look at pipe thickness, you'll know what to do.

If you are unsure of pipe thickness.. can always go to home supply store and look at type m copper tubing (red stripe... thinnest, for heat pipe) and type L copper tuning (blue stripe... thicker, for water). 15 years ago some guys were installing type M copper tubing to cut back on costs of constucting new homes... some got away with it.. some didn't. The result is that lots of homes 15-20 years having same problem you are.

Anyway, talk to the plumber, and look at defective pipe thickness with him... see what he thinks. Please let us know what happens. Good day... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking copper pipe at joint [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slow leak from my supply pipe to my kitchen faucet. It's at the joint. I have copper pipes. What's the best way to plug the leak? Thanks very much

Copper Pipe Threads leaking [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed a new shower regulator after moving the copper piping. The solder joints are holding but the threads on one side of the regulator are seeping (about 1 drip a min). Looks like the teflon tape missed a thread to two... I can't take it apart and try again because it's affixed to...

Hot Water causes copper pipe noise [ 10 Answers ]

Recently, we replaced the old galvanized pipe in out home with copper. When the hot-water is turned on in the tub we get a popping/banging sound that is most intense for the first minute or so that the water is running. The intensity of the noise decreases but continues for about 10-15 minutes...

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

Drain vent leaking water in attic and onto ceiling [ 13 Answers ]

I noticed a leak on my bedroom ceiling and traced it to a drain ventilation system looping though my attic. It does not seem to be connected to the main vent stack. It seems to be leaking at an elbow joint. The drain vent is PVC and I'm guessing is connected to my tub and washer drains and...

View more questions Search