Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ed1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Leak from bathtub
    Hi we have a leak onto our ceiling directly below our bathtub. It seems to be from the drain but at a loss of what to do next. It only leaks during a bath or a few minutes into a shower. Any help would be great. Thanks Ed
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Hi Ed,

Look behind the front of the tub. There should be a access panel. Open it up and tell me exactly where the leak is and I'll give you instructions on how to repair it. Regards, Tom
    ed1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 04:20 PM
    We cut a hole in the side wall at the front but couldn't see anything there is only a 5 or 6 inch space and studs surround all pipes. The tub is up against a wall conecting to our neighbours and there is a fire wall built between us. We believe the leak is in the drain but can't remove the drain when we turn it the overflow drain turns with it. Any suggestions on how to remove it?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ed1973
    we cut a hole in the side wall at the front but couldn't see anything there is only a 5 or 6 inch space and studs surround all pipes. the tub is up against a wall conecting to our neighbours and there is a fire wall built between us. we believe the leak is in the drain but can't remove the drain when we turn it the overflow drain turns with it. Any suggestions on how to remove it?
    If the tub waste and overflow turns then you are in deep doo-doo. The overflow tube is secured to the tub by the two screws in the chrome plate.
    In your place I would have someone reach in and hold the tub shoe from turning while I stuck the handles of a pair of pliers between the cross in the drain and put a screwdriver in the jaws for leverage. Unscrew counterclockwise. Then reseal with plumbers putty or silicon jell. Good luck. Tom
    mystic1930 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    If the tub waste and overflow turns then you are in deep doo-doo. The overflow tube is secured to the tub by the two screws in the chrome plate.
    In your place I would have someone reach in and hold the tub shoe from turning while I stuck the handles of a pair of pliers between the cross in the drain and put a screwdriver in the jaws for leverage. Unscrew counterclockwise. Then reseal with plumbers putty or silicon jell. Good luck. Tom
    If that chrome plate is broken and a screw missing can that cause leakage below? Or is it also piping? Doesn't that have to be completed closed off?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2007, 05:34 AM
    we believe the leak is in the drain but can't remove the drain when we turn it the overflow drain turns with it. If that chrome plate is broken and a screw missing can that cause leakage below? Or is it also piping? Doesn't that have to be completed closed off?
    It's not the chrome face plate that's leaking . It's the piping around the trap that you must check out. If you can't get to it from a access hole then cut out a portion of the ceiling and go in from there. Good luck, Tom
    shelleyvogt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    The leak is coming from the tub drain. I can feel it through the access panel. I can feel it drip. How do I take out the metal round piece that goen into the tub hole? Is there a special tool?
    Thanks,
    Shelley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub leak only when husband takes shower [ 9 Answers ]

I have a strange question... we have a leak in our kitchen ceiling, directly under bath #1. The plumber came out twice and even reset the toilet in bath #1, but the problem still occurs. We determined it only occurs when my husband (not me, not my kids) takes a shower in bath #2, which is NOT...

Bathtub Leak [ 2 Answers ]

I need help figuring out what to do with my bathtub drain. It leaks when draining. Water seeps out from the bottom of the tub to the bathroom floor. My house is approximately 35 years old & built on a slab. I've found that if you pull the drain lever up about halfway & let it drain very slowly,...

Bathtub drain leak due to tub corrosion [ 1 Answers ]

We have a porcelain over steel tub that has started to leak to our downstairs. We pulled away the ceiling and saw that the tub looks like it is corroding around the drain. Is this something we can repair ourselves? Would installing a new drain fix the problem? How would that work? Of course,...

Ceiling Leak due to Bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently moved into a brand new house. To date it is only 5 months old. Yesturday for the first time I took a bath in my tub, low and behold I go downstairs into the kitchen to see that my kitchen ceiling now has a hole and water was all over my kitchen floor. I know nothing about plumbling...

Bathtub Leak, No Access Panel [ 2 Answers ]

After many false starts (misdiagnoses from plumbers supplied by our home warranty company), I've pinpointed that our upstairs bathtub leaks when draining from a bath. It will not leak with a shower or if you only put a small amount of water in the tub. I've read the other posts in the forums...

View more questions Search