Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharpguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Weird things going on with hot water heater and water temp
    I have read the posts about the problems with knocking, mine does this as well. Here's what else I have noticed... All of a sudden my master bath shower does not get as hot as it used to. Some of the faucets still get as hot as before and furthermore the shower in main bathroom only comes out scolding hot, no cold water at all. When you turn just the cold part on it comes out with very little pressure but is still hot only. I to have noticed this knocking noise a little after turning water on. Can someone please help a guy out who knows very little about this..
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Hey sharpguy... let's start with the shower valve that only gets hot water... what is name on valve face plate... or can you provide a picture?

ALso, I think water heater needs to be flushed out. Hook up hose to water heater drain and leaving water ON.. open drain full open and let heater flush for 5 minutes or so... that will reduce the knocking sounds for sure.

I think shower valve mixing valve is shot or cold water is plugged... get back to me on valve name or pic?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 06:48 PM
    If you answer the questyion by MASS we can help you pull the cartridges from bot the shower mixer and the faucet. They both likely have debris in them. When you drain that tank be careful since this is going to be about 120 degree water, much htotter than you generally get from a mixing valve.

Feb 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hey sharpguy...let's start with the shower valve that only gets hot water...what is name on valve face plate...or can you provide a picture?

ALso, I think water heater needs to be flushed out. Hook up hose to water heater drain and leaving water ON..open drain full open and let heater flush for 5 minutes or so...that will reduce the knocking sounds for sure.

I think shower valve mixing valve is shot or cold water is plugged...get back to me on valve name or pic?
    It's a moen. The kind where it's a single lever that when its turned to the far right its off, turning from the right to left it go's from cold to hot. It's the one where the lever is on the middle of wall, showerhead up top and bath faucet on bottom. Water barely comes out from showerhead and bath faucet unless turned more to the hot side.. I hope that helps
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 07:33 PM
    You are going to love this. Review the site below... then call 1800BUYMOEN and ask for the appropriate replacement part and they will send the part... inclucing shipping to you for FREE! Usually within 48 hours. Let us know how it goes or if you need help beyond the website provided.

MOEN Kitchen Faucets, Bathroom Faucets and Bathroom Showers

CLICK ON CONSUMER SUPPORT and then INSTALLATION HELP... THEN I think you want the 1225 cartridge... click on that.. see from there.

At the bottom of this screen is an animated tutorial... Click on animated tutorial, then click on start, then keep clicking next in animation box when prompted.. cool stuff.

Keep us posted.

Feb 27, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    You are gonna love this. Review the site below...then call 1800BUYMOEN and ask for the appropriate replacement part and they will send the part...inclucing shipping to you for FREE!! Usually within 48 hours. Let us know how it goes or if you need help beyond the website provided.

MOEN Kitchen Faucets, Bathroom Faucets and Bathroom Showers

CLICK ON CONSUMER SUPPORT and then INSTALLATION HELP...THEN I think you want the 1225 cartridge...click on that..see from there.

At the bottom of this screen is an animated tutorial...Click on animated tutorial, then click on start, then keep clicking next in animation box when prompted..cool stuff.

Keep us posted.

Is there a recall? If not, how are you able to determine that's what's wrong? Thanks for the info
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
    There is no recall... I am making assumptions for sure... but see this a lot online.. so I know that most likely you need to replace the cartridge assembly (see moen site) and that usually fixes this type problem

OR there is debris in the cold water line.. (seems to go hand in hand with water heater knocking sounds).AND here, you still need to remove the cartridge... then pulse/purge cold water line of debris.. then reinstall cartridge... (REVIEW THE SITE.. shows how to do this! )... call 1800buymoen after reviewing site provided in last post and they will send you new cartridge if you need it. If you don't, even better... just clear line, clean cartridge and replace. Test faucet and may be OK.. IF NOT, call number and request replacement part... let me know how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Hot water heater - settings for temp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a State select 50 gallon water heater. I have it set approx 3/4 way to the hottest setting. The hot water does not seem to last that long or get that hot. Where should the setting be for this type of hot water heater? Typical 3/2 home with 4 occupants. Water does have to travel...

Luke warm temp from gas hot water heater [ 13 Answers ]

About 6 days ago, we suddenly only had luke warm water from all our hot water faucets. I called the hot water heater help line and they sent me a new thermostat. I had a friend (who is a pro) install the thermostat, and still no hot water. I can see the pilot is lit. I can hear a constant "roar"...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

No hot water - hot water heater and cold working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Its freezing out and we have NO hot water! Cold is working fine everywhere - but nothing comes out of the hot side anywhere. The hot water heater appears to be working? Did the hot water pipes freeze? Why the hot side and not the cold? Please help.

View more questions Search