Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tpanda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Basement drain backing up into laundry room
    Hello, Every time I empty the kitchen sink the water backs up through the basement floor drain into my laundry room. This does not occur when we flush the toilet or shower, only when we use the kitchen sink. We had a plumber come snake our system but he did not snake through the floor drain, he went through another position about 2 feet away from the floor drain in an opening in a large pipe. He did not solve our problem. When we stick a coat hanger down the floor drain there is a lot of mud and dirt in it... is this normal? Do you think that we need to have another plumber snake out this drain or do we have some other underlying problem?

Thank you
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Tpanda - One Question- DO you have a vent from your kitchen sink?? NOW you said you were getting a lot of mud out of the basement drain, is all this mud comeing from inside your basement? Or is the sewer backing up from outside the house with the mud , check outside the house for a clean out, it will be level with the ground, it will be white and 3 or 4" round ,if the cap is off then rain water could be washing mud in and its going back towards the basement, What you will probably have to do is get it cleaned out with a hose with a pressure bulb on end of hose and if that don't work you can have a plumber use a roto rooter. HOW old is your house and are you on city sewer?? THE plumber will know how to use the pressure bulb and hose .:: HOPE I HAVE HELPED WITH YOUR PROBLEM< IF I HAVE RATE MY ANSWER >;; good liuk & GOD BLESS - waiting for your answers to my questions ::: F.B.E.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Appearently you floor drain is tied into the kitchen drain line. The blockage should be in the kitchen drain between the point where floor drain ties in and the main stack (where plumber snaked). Plumber should have went through the kitchen drain. Plumber should have checked before he left. I think you are entitled to a recall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Laundry room from basement to second floor [ 2 Answers ]

I appreciate any help I can get. I have an old house (1899) and the upstairs bathroom is divided in two. One side only has a sink. I have removed this sink and want to convert to laundrey room. I currently have the hot and cold supply lines and the drain for the sink. The drain comes...

Laundry room drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a laundry room and a bedroom side by side at the front of the house. I have made a bump out addition to these rooms. I want to move the sink, washer and the dryer from the existing laundry room into the bedroom making it the new laundry room. Can I run approximately 22 feet of new...

Moving the laundry room to the basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi kids, I need to remodel my kitchen and the first thing to do is to move the washer and dryer out of its current location and into the partially finished basement. My main concern is the gray water coming out of the washer. Since it is located below the current drain how does the dirty water from...

View more questions Search