Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redraven_y2k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 02:04 AM
    Help with bath/ shower on slab
    My wife and I are considering installing a Sterling brand two piece tub w/ shower enclosure in our full bath. Here's why when we purchased our home last Nov.of 2005 we did not notice the last owner had altered the bathing area. What he did was remove the tub spout and had a make shift cheap handheld shower installed:confused: not only was the spout removed but the height is so high (smack dab in the middle of the wall if my wife was any shorter she would drown)that if I just wanted a spout the water would splash all over everything; :( When I examed the handy work I was amazed that it looks like there was no shower installed in this bathroom just a tub,but this is what puzzles me the whole bath has been tiled and has shower doors installed so what gives? :confused: Now our home is a 1953 rancher on a 1 level slab. I wonder if in 1953 if it was common practice to build a home without a shower and how hard would it be to install this myself ? My wife and I would like a nice 18 in tub to soak in and right now our tub in about 12 or 15 inches deep and I'm 6ft 2 you do the math ;) . I can't find any water shut offs so off to the water main I go. What do I do tear out the wall and just install the fixtures shower head/ tub spout replace tile or bite the bullet and install the everything? I would like to say money is not a problem but hey so is time I will have do do this over the weekend. Any suggestion?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Hey raven,
    Which way do you want to go? The expensive way which would be to basically tear out everything and install a tub/shower unit that will accommodate your 6'2" frame or a cheap, ( under 20 bucks.)hand held shower that takes off from a specially built spout and that you wouln't even have to shut the water off to install? (Click on; http://www.rehabmart.com/product/5849.htm)
    " I wonder if in 1953 if it was common practice to build a home without a shower and how hard would it be to install this myself ?"

No, the only tubs installed without a shower are whirlpool tubs, everything else has a shower as a part of the installation. You are getting into major surgery by changing out tub and unless you have plumbing experience and tools I would advise getting in outside help.

". I can't find any water shut offs so off to the water main I go. What do I do tear out the wall and just install the fixtures shower head/ tub spout replace tile or bite the bullet and install the everything?"
    You shut the water offat the meter or the pump. This whole thing depends on how much money and time you want to invest. The cheapest id the hand held shower, but that sounds like what you may already have. The next least expensive way would be to tear out the wall and just install the fixtures shower head/ tub spout and then replace the tile or you canb go w3hole hog and bite the bullet and install the everything. Your choice. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Bath & Shower Fixtures [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new shower/bath area built and plumbed quite some time ago. I have finished tiling and an ready to have the shower nozzle, hot/cold knobs, and bath faucet installed. I was just told the pipes that were installed must match the brand of fixture. Is this right? I have no idea what the...

Low bath tub and shower pressure [ 2 Answers ]

We had a leak and some pipes had to be changed that lead to the shower head. We also had a new tub faucet installed. Pressure was low to both the shower and tub so we had the plumber return for an adjustment. It was OK for a while, but still not very much pressure. Several months passed and ...

Shower on slab [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a walk in shower on a slab foundation. How do I connect the drain to the toilet?

Lukewarm bath/shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My bath/shower has only had lukewarm water for the past couple of weeks and it is driving me crazy. The rest of the house has hot water (very hot -- I turned up the hot water heater's temperature to nearly 140 degrees) including the sink in the same bathroom as the bath/shower that only...

Adding new bath to concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We just purchased a home in L.A. built in the 60s that has a concrete slab construction. We want to add on a master bath to the house but I don't know how we would tie into the plumbing lines in this kind of a foundation. Do they actually pour concrete onto the pipes when the foundation is...

View more questions Search