Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrslap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Tub Drain Very slowly
    I am having trouble with a tub drain in a house that I have just moved into. The tub take about an hour to drain. I have tried drain cleaners, and they help a little for a short time but will still take 20 to 30 minutes to drain. I have tried to pulling out the drain lever on the tub witch is a rod with a spring like thing on the bottom but that does not make any difference. I do not know what else to try. The home is on a concrete slab and I have no access to the piping.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2006, 10:25 AM
    No problem Slappy,

Remove the drain lever thingy and then pull the stopper up and out of the tub drain. You are now ready to send a snake down the open drain lever hole. You will hit a bend in the trap about 18"down. Crank and work your way around it and into the tub drain line. Now run out about 10 or 15 foot of snake. Now see if the tub doesn't drain any better. Cheers, Tom

Jan 14, 2006, 06:14 PM
    How do I get the stopper thing out when I remove the lever it has a sping thing on the end but no stopper
    freebie314 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 07:31 PM
    If the drain has a drum trap it will be of no use to send a snake down the overflow,. and if the house is on a slab I'd guess the house is probably 30-50 years old so it probably has a drum trap..,. here is what you can try...
    1. Remove the overflow cover and pull it out.
    2. use a wet rag and plug the overflow with it, make sure its wedged nice and tight but make sure you can take it back out when you need to.
    3. fill the tub with about 2 inches of water
    4. pluge the heck out of the drain while holding the rag so it doesn't push out,. you'll probably pull a bunch of hair and soot back, Make sure you grab the hair before it goes back down the drain.
    5. pull rag out of the overflow and re-assemble

Hope that works.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2006, 08:38 AM
    "How do I get the stopper thing out when I remove the lever it has a sping thing on the end but no stopper"

The stopper is the thing in the tub that will close off the drain. It will pull right up and out giviing you free access to the trap and drain line. If there is no clean out cover plate on the floor the chances are that you have a "P" trap and not a drum trap. While it's true drum traps were used on tubs in the 30's and 40's they are forbidden by code since then unless specifically authorized by the inspector. You may try plunging but the surest way to clear a drain line is to snake it out. Good luck, Toim

Jan 15, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the ideas I will try them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter Fan runs very slowly [ 14 Answers ]

I have installed a Hunter with remote control (Model 27185). Everything works including the fan. When I set the fan to fast using the remote it runs at the slowest speed of my other Hunter fan. When I set it to slow it barely moves if at all. Initially I did not have the pull switch set to...

No water unless faucet slowly turned. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. We have a fauced that when turned normally does not have any water flowing out. There is a bang when this is done too. If the faucet is turned slowly, water will come out. Thanks!

Tub drains slowly [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I've got one for you all... Our bathtub in the master bathroom drains slowly. A common problem that seems to be caused by grease and hair clogs. But I don't believe this is the problem. Here is my situation. The bathroom has two sinks, toilet and separate shower. All of which drain...

Water pressure slowly dropping [ 3 Answers ]

Good Morning! We bought a split-level, 1977 house about a year ago and are experiencing our first problem with it... the water pressure seems to be dropping. When we first bought the house, the pressure was strong. I don't know exactly when it happened, it has been getting gradually worse, but...

Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly. [ 2 Answers ]

The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the...

View more questions Search