Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joeks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2005, 09:05 PM
    Basement bathroom
    I am adding a bathroom in abasement that is stubbed in. My questions are;
    1. Do I simply remove the plastic pipe that is now covering the waste line for the toilet and glue a toilet flange to the pipe where it enters the concrete floor? 2. Same general question on the drain line for the vanity? What is the process to connecting the p-trap to the hole in the floor for the vanity drain? Thanks for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 28, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Good morning Joe,

1. Do I simply remove the plastic pipe that is now covering the waste line for the toilet and glue a toilet flange to the pipe where it enters the concrete floor?

You first prime and glue the flange next to the floor. You then saw off the pipe asclose to the flange as you can.

2. What is the process to connecting the p-trap to the hole in the floor for the vanity drain?
    What hole in the floor? That sounds like a tub dap out to me. Tub dap outs are a 12 or 14" square hole in the cement with a trap and raiser. However if you have a 2" pipe coming out of the floor next to the wall then
    You bring the pipe up 18" off the floor to the center of a 2 X 1 1/2" drainage tee and stub out to pick up the lavatory. From the top of the tee you'll countinue out the roof with a 2" vent for your bathroom group.
    Good luck, Tom
    Joeks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 10:32 AM
    Thanks for the info. A few more questions if you don't mind. I have an area where the contractor stubbed off the tub, toilet and drain for sink. I have assumed the drains are already vented. Is that a bad assumption? By gluing the toilet flange to the drain (plumb with the floor) is it assumed that by bolting the toilet to the flange and gluing the flange to the drain pipe is sufficient to keep the toilet from moving? The pipe that I am assuming is the sink drain is the smallest in diameter of the 3 pipes. If I understand correctly, I leave 18 inches of that pipe and drain into it? How do I connect the p trap pipe to that 18 inch pipe? Do I just stick the p trap pipe into the stub pipe? Sorry for the number of questions. I am a competent carpenter and handy man type, just no experience at basement baths. Thanks again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 28, 2005, 01:22 PM
    Hey Joe,

" I have an area where the contractor stubbed off the tub, toilet and drain for sink. I have assumed the drains are already vented. Is that a bad assumption?"
    Yes it is. Unless he roughed in the stubout for the lavatory and you see a pipe coming off the tee and going up to the roof you aren't vented.

"By gluing the toilet flange to the drain (plumb with the floor) is it assumed that by bolting the toilet to the flange and gluing the flange to the drain pipe is sufficient to keep the toilet from moving?"
    Yes.

"The pipe that I am assuming is the sink drain is the smallest in diameter of the 3 pipes. If I understand correctly, I leave 18 inches of that pipe and drain into it?? How do I connect the p trap pipe to that 18 inch pipe? Do I just stick the p trap pipe into the stub pipe?"

You bring the pipe up 18" off the floor to the center of a 2 X 1 1/2" drainage tee and stub out to pick up the lavatory. You will connect the trap to the stubout at the time you install the lavatory. From the top of the tee you'll countinue out the roof with a 2" vent for your bathroom group.
    Best of luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Is a 1.5inch diameter pipe thick enough to use as a shower drain? I have a basement with drain pipes already set up the 2inch pipe is too close to the toilet so is this pipe enough or do I have to bust up the concrete. I already checked it with a garden hose I turned it up all the way and it...

Bathroom in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom rough in in a basement with three pipes up from the floor one is obviously the toile but how do we know which is vent and which is drain? Or are both drains and the rough in is already tied to the vent?:

Basement Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing off a basement bathroom, I am going to tile the floor. There is a pipe approx. 6" high coming out of the floor for the toilet, when installing the floor how close to the floor should I have to cut the pipe off, how much room do I need to leave around that pipe, do I...

Another Basement bathroom job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Thank you for looking at this question and helping me out. Attached is a MS Word doc that should explain everything. I have read a lot of posts in here and I think I have all the info needed for someone to easily answer my questions. I do have a lot better pictures and drawings, but...

New Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question that I would like to see if you can answer. I have purchased a newly constructed home with a full basement. The problem is it was not stubbed for a bathroom. My question is, Where I want to locate the bathroom there is a floor drain. Can I cutup the concrete and tap into...

View more questions Search