Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ibjeff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 08:31 PM
    Septic smell in basement
    OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped.
    We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul septic odor mainly in smallest room in the basement (which is located in the corner of the basement). The left side of the basement is completely under ground where the right side is at ground level. The room that smells is on the far left. The smell comes and goes depending on the usage of the plumbing, most of the time the smell is there or it's not.
    Now let me give you the details. We live in a split level home 30 years old at the end of our street downhill. We have a septic system and city water. We have no water or odors in the back yard were the septic is located. The sewer vent pipe on the roof is clear and there is only one pipe. The room in the basement that houses the odor is our computer room with no plumbing or pipes in the ceiling. The basement bathroom is located next to this room but never has odor. The laundry room is next to the bathroom but also has no odor. The laundry room houses the plumbing into the floor. The shower in the basement does not get used very often but I did pour water in the trap. All the sinks and toilets flush fine with no slowness or bubbles. A few of the rooms in the basement are carpeted but there seems to be no floor drains anywere.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
    I know how annoying this problem can be, hunting down the reason for this horrible problem. I found a primer on Troubleshooting Sewage Smell in the Basement. I hope this helps you in your quest to solve this mystery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell from basement bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We bought our house a year ago. The basement was already finshed. In the basement bathroom there is a drain in the floor that would give off a sulphur smell. We would dump water down the drain every other day but the smell really never went completely away. About a month ago I noticed a sewage ...

Please help - source of smell in basement? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this board and would appreciate your help. We have had a bad sewer smell come and go from our basement - and the smell comes up into the rest of the house. We use the bathroom down there daily, so it's not a case of dried up p-traps, or whatever, and the smell is not in the...

Sewage Smell in Basement bath [ 6 Answers ]

We moved into this house last February. The house uses a septic tank which is located itneh front yard. Teh lot slpoes downwards towards the back. As a result, the basement bath is located lower than the septic tank. In the last 2 or 3 months the smell has become unbearable. We rarely use...

Septic smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Every winter I get a sewage smell throughout my house. I have a basement with a crawl space at the end and from within this crawl space is where the smell originates. My furnace is about 10 feet from this 3 foot square hole which goes to the crawl space and you can feel and smell the odor coming...

Basement Shower Smell [ 3 Answers ]

This sounds like a lot of your previous questions but none of the scenarios match up. I have a shower in the basement of my 1928 house. I bad smell is coming from the drain. It looks like the drain doesn't match up with the 3-4" cast iron floor pipe and they used concrete to direct the water over...

View more questions Search