Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hargy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Moving Laundry room from basement to second floor
    I appreciate any help I can get.

I have an old house (1899) and the upstairs bathroom is divided in two. One side only has a sink. I have removed this sink and want to convert to laundrey room. I currently have the hot and cold supply lines and the drain for the sink. The drain comes through the wall about 18 inches above the ground. These lines are not centered behind the planned location of the washer.
    I am wondering if I can adapte the current lines or do I need to put in the standing drain pipe and move the supplies to a more suitable spot.

Also, I was wondering if I should use a floor pan under the washer, and how to plumb that in.

Thanks for any advice.

hargy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2007, 10:06 AM
    What size is the sink stubout that you wish to connect to? If it's 1 1/4" it's too small. 2" is required for today's more powerful washer pumps. You should remove the existing tee and stubout and cut in a sanitary tee as close to the floor as possible. Come off the tee with a 2" trap and 36" standpipe. How far away are the supplies? To install a washer pan you neec to connect a 3/4" PVC line to the pan and run the drain to the outside. Good luck, Tom
    abner Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Nov 14, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Laundry drain lines must be 2" in diameter not 1 1/2, (which should be what exsisting),in order to drian properly. You would have to change the drain lines and also the water supplys need to have 1/2" hose bibs not angle stops that are 3/8". Any further questions you can email me @ [email protected]. I am a licensed plumber.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor Drain Backed up in Laundry room [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've lived in my house for 5 years. It was built in 1957. It is a great, sturdy house. The biggest headache is that, occasionally, since the beginning - our laundry room floor drain backs up. I'd like to understand what is happening as best I can. I am not a plummer, but I am willing to...

Moving Laundry room to 2nd floor [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I'm getting tired of lugging laundry up and down stairs. While I appreciate the fitness of using stairs, I'm clumsy and likely to take a fall one of these days! So, I'm moving the laundry room to the 2nd floor room over garage. I'm sharing details to get a sanity check and for any other DIY...

Moving laundry room [ 8 Answers ]

I need to move my washer/dryer to a utility room. One wall in the room backs up to a bathroom, with tub/shower/toilet. A local contractor wants an outrageous fee because I'm on a slab and he says he must bust up concrete and remove a toilet to install the washer's drain, joining it to the...

Moving the laundry room to the basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi kids, I need to remodel my kitchen and the first thing to do is to move the washer and dryer out of its current location and into the partially finished basement. My main concern is the gray water coming out of the washer. Since it is located below the current drain how does the dirty water from...

Moving Laundry room and adding bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to move my laundry room to an adjacent room and combine it with a (new)full bath. The current laundry plumbing and waste is on an outide wall and the room has a floor drain in center about 6' in. The kitchen plumbing and waste is 10' away on the same outside wall. The waste line...

View more questions Search