Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erharv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2005, 08:18 AM
    Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain
    I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck.

Can you please give me some advise?
    CrackedHalo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2005, 03:11 PM
    Bathroom smell
    Quote Originally Posted by erharv
    I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck.

Can you please give me some advise?
    Wow, similer problem here too. Have a nasty smell coming form the sink overflow drain. So, the plumber changed the whole sink and pipes, smell form there is gone. Next, after he left... I smelt the same smell coming from the tub drain and over flow. So I plugged the over flow and plugged the tub drain with a stopper. The smell is still lingering. It's a strong mold type smell. I check around the toilet, and its not coming from there. The plumber things I'm nuts as he say he can't smell it. But it's there and seems to be stronger at night. HELP~! :(
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Hey Guys!

Most bad shower and lavatory smells are caused by rotting hair matted with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2" gallon of bleach down the drain. Next morning flush the bleach out with, (and this is important) two large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve the hair and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out. Good luck, Tom

Nov 23, 2005, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Guys!

Most bad shower and lavatory smells are caused by rotting hair matted with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2" gallon of bleach down the drain. Next morning flush the bleach out with, (and this is important) two large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve the hair and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out. Good luck, Tom
    Hey Speedball!

I have tried the above advise a few times. Funny thing, after the new sink went in and p trap, the smell was gone. So you thing they will have to put in new pipes in the tub to clear the smell?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2005, 04:08 PM
    " So you think they will have to put in new pipes in the tub to clear the smell??"

No, but I think the tub drain should be snaked out and flushed. Regards, Tom

Nov 23, 2005, 04:20 PM
    " So you think they will have to put in new pipes in the tub to clear the smell??"

No, but I think the tub drain should be snaked out and flushed. Regards, Tom
    Ok, I will mention this to the landlord.

I guess I should have added the building history as well, not sure if it matters... 3 apt house, Im in the basement, built in the 50's, the unit was made in the late 80's. No vents for the tub or sink.

I have been in the apt for over one year now, this has just started about 1 month ago.

Justin

Nov 24, 2005, 04:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackedHalo
    Ok, I will mention this to the landlord.

I guess I should have added the building history aswell, not sure if it matters... 3 apt house, Im in the basement, built in the 50's, the unit was made in the late 80's. No vents for the tub or sink.

I have been in the apt for over one year now, this has just started about 1 month ago.

Justin
    Further to my last post. Seems the smell is very strong at night, fills the whole apt. I can't understand how it can continue to smell after plugging both the overflow and drain in the tub?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 24, 2005, 06:43 AM
    " Seems the smell is very strong at night, fills the whole apt. I can't understand how it can continue to smell after plugging both the overflow and drain in the tub?"

Smells are always stronger at night. The air is heavier and the smells are grouped closer to the floor. Since you've plugged off both the drain and the overflow to the tub have you opened up the access hole and checked under the tub by the trap and drain line? Regards, tom

Nov 24, 2005, 06:48 AM
    " Seems the smell is very strong at night, fills the whole apt. I can't understand how it can continue to smell after plugging both the overflow and drain in the tub?"

Smells are always stronger at night. The air is heavier and the smells are grouped closer to the floor. Since you've plugged off both the drain and the overflow to the tub have you opened up the access hole and checked under the tub by the trap and drain line? Regards, tom
    No, its all sealed up. I just spoke to the landlord again. We're trying to find someone that deals with smells/odors to figure out where exactly its coming from. I don't think that landlord is up for replacing everything until its pin pointed. I have a feeling it's the tub, maybe under it... I have no idea. Any idea's on a company that deals with tracking or identifing odors? :D
    erharv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2005, 07:30 AM
    My internet has been down. Thanks for the advice. I am going to try pouring bleach, if that doesn't work I will use a snake, if that doesn't work... you will be hearing from me again.

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2005, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackedHalo
    No, its all sealed up. I just spoke to the landlord again. We're trying to find someone that deals with smells/odors to figure out where exactly its coming from. I don't think that landlord is up for replacing everything untill its pin pointed. I have a feeling its the tub, maybe under it... I have no idea. Any idea's on a company that deals with tracking or identifing odors? :D
    Seems that there is a problem with the toilet and the tub/shower. The plumber flushed the toilet and said he can hear water flowing in the tub drain, which the P trap is supost to stop. So that seems to be the problem and were the smell is coming from.

Dec 14, 2005, 07:06 PM

After a few hundreds of dollars, the landlord poured CLR into the tub drain. I lef the apt for the day, and came back to find the smell gone. A few days later and a few showers later, the smell seems to be starting up again? So... any idea's why the CLR would have fixed it only for a short time ?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 15, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Ifthe tub is not vented and the plumber heard sounds in the tub trap when he flushed the toilet that would indicate the toilets attempting to vent through the tub trap. This will put a suction on the trap seal in the tub and could lower it down to where sewer gas could escape.

"Im in the basement, built in the 50's, the unit was made in the late 80's. No vents for the tub or sink."

This is not good for a basement apartment. You have both upper apartments discharging sewage past your unvented bathroom and putting a suction on it that could be deleting the water seals out of your traps and letting sewer gas into your apartment. I don't know why this problem just started up but I would, at the very least, have the land lordlord into the possibility of installing a "cheater vent" (see below) on your lavatory. Good luck and let me know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in shower... [ 26 Answers ]

I don't know if this has been covered, but whenever my shower is running the smell of sewage seems to be coming up from my drain. This happens in only one bathroom, this bathroom being on the second floor. There is a 1/2 bath in the basement that hasn't been used in years, we just recently bought...

Shower drain and floor [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting our shower floor and drain replaced, and have a problem with the installation. The plumber installed a new drain, but the person who was going to lay the mud floor, said that the drain was not secured. The plumber says that the liner can be cut, the drain secured, and a patch put...

Sewage smell in basement under 1st floor toilet [ 1 Answers ]

In our large unfinished basement a sewage smell that appeared for about the past 4-6 weeks. It localizes to the area immediately underneath the drain for the 1st floor toilet, although the drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom is only 12 inches away. There is mild staining of the otherwise dry,...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

Sewage Smell from Bathroom? (Maybe floor?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, The building I live in is a two story, stick built duplex supported with steel under frame resting on concrete pilings. Due to the area I live in we have our water and sewage trucked in and out every two days. The water tank is indoors and the sewage take is buried beneath...

View more questions Search