Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulveycat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Rapid ticking noise when water running
    :confused: I am in the process of having my galvanized water lines changed to copper in my basement. Job was to be done in one day but took longer than expected and plumber is due back today. I have however noticed that since some work has been done that there is a persistent steady fairly rapid ticking or it can be described as a light thumping sound when water is flowing now. This happens when I run water in the kitchen or flush the toilet. It stops when the water stops running or the toilet finishes filling. I have gone down to the basement and can hear the noise down there to by the new piping. I spoke to the plumber and he said it probably is the meter. However before any work was done no such ticking was ever heard during water running. It this just a big coincendence (as he saids) that my meter is now giving me trouble or is it something to do with installation,- could it be air in the new pipes. I wonder only because I would like to remedy the problem while the work is being done. He wants me to allow them to finish the job before we look at that problem. I am concerned. Can anyone advise? Thanks Anne
    PS fyi The house has rad heating but none of the piping for the rads is being changed. The water lines in the upper part of the house were changed during renos about 3 yrs ago without any issues This is the remaining piping in the basement.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Your plumber is likely correct and I'd let him finish the job before tackling the noise. Your old galvanized pipes were probably loaded with build up and that's what lead you to repiping. The galvanized pipe and build up was much more heavy and dense than the new copper. It is like switching from a cast iron drain to PVC, you will hear a lot of things you never heard before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise when water is running [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a pressure reducing valve replaced. Since then I hear a humming or even a howling sound whenever I turn on any water source. Even when the toilet is filling, it hums or howls. As soon as I turn the water off, the sound stops. The sound is loud. I checked the pressure and it is...

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

Noise when flushing toilet and when running water [ 1 Answers ]

I have humming noise (seems to be getting louder) when I flush the toilet and when I run water into the bath and into the kitchen sink. I read a reply to a similar problem about looking at the regulator.. What is a regulator? Many thanks!

Frigidaire washer (ticking noise while aggitating) [ 1 Answers ]

My washing machine is about 6 years old, came in my new house I had built. One day it developed a loud ticking sound while aggitating. I'll take the front off this weekend to have a look. Does anyone have any ideas before to share with me? Here's a tiny bit of advice for anyone buiding a new...

View more questions Search