Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mellutton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Drain smell and identifing washing machine sink trap type
    I have read lots of answers about dealing with the smell of drains from a washing machine, sink etc...
    My washing machine plumbing seems unusual with the drain away pipe going into a long white pipe that goes under the floorboards but also goes straight up for about 50cms to an end point that has a kind of cap sitting on it. The cap could be forced down but I am worried that if I do this I may create too much pressure if drain gas is a problem.

Occasionally we get a smell of drains that seems to emanate from this pipe but at other times seems to be coming up through the floorboards in the hall about 2 metres away from the machine. The smell doesn't seem to be linked to any use of any specific thing, i.e. shower, washing machine, sink. Neither does it seem to be connected to hot weather, cold, rain etc... Sometimes it doesn't smell for weeks, then it just reappears for a day, or a month.

My questions are: what kind of sink trap or vent is this that ends with a vented cap on top - if I know I can check if it is installed correctly?

Do you think such an unpredictable smell can be from the washine machine vent - if so any ideas how to fix it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 07:26 PM
    I think you are describing a Studor vent or air admittance vent (AAV). It is a mechanical valve that should allow ait into the drain but not let sewer gas out, it replaces a stack vent to your roof. Since it is mechcanical it can fail but they are fairly inexpensive. I would not try to fix it, just replace it for about $8.

Nov 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Thank you Ballengerb1 - I have looked up a Studor vent on the net and it looks as if that is it - I will get it replaced. Cheers

Nov 12, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Identified the vent I described and gave clear practical advice
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 06:48 PM
    I cheated on you Melluton. I sneaked back into my post and added a 1 in front of the $8 cost. The AAV for your piping is more around $18 not 8. Sorry, fat little fingers and a very small keyboard. Its still a good price. Have a good one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper sink drain too slow, not clogged which type drain is best [ 2 Answers ]

We just refinished bathroom with double vanity copper sinks. They have a flat grid drain in the bottom, not vented. Is there a different drain that would allow the water to drain easier? We have to swirl water or stir water to get it to begin draining, like there is a suction...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Washing machine smell [ 1 Answers ]

My washing machine (and whole laundry room) smells like dirty stagnant water. I've tried vinegar and bleach, nothing seems to work!

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search