Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ultralight Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Twist N Set Closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe
    Hi again,

I'm trying to install a 3" Oatey Twist N Set closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe. The problem I'm having is that the Twist n Set is too long and cannot be inserted all the way due to the curvature of the copper pipe it is fitting into.

Secondly, it seems the seal between the gasket and inside of the copper is REAL tight and I'm tempted to use some lubricant to be able to install it without destroying the gasket. If the pipe were a few millimeters larger in inner diameter, I wouldn't have this problem. Lol.

A few questions:
    1) If I saw off part of the twist-n-set downpipe so it will fit, will it still work?

2) Can I apply a little lubricant (mineral oil?) to facilitate installation of the shortened closet flange?

3) If not, are there any other easy to install closet flanges for this application? I can't seem to find a copper flange for the life of me and I'm afraid if I do, it is going to be in the $50 to $100 range...

Thanks,
    Steve
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2007, 07:33 AM
    I need more information. Oatey Twist N Set closet flanges comes in three flavors, ABS, Cast Iron and PVC. Which are you attempting to install? Is the copper elbo got a hub or is it a streetell?
    are there any other easy to install closet flanges for this application? I can't seem to find a copper flange for the life of me and I'm afraid if I do, it is going to be in the $50 to $100 range
    As a rule when we have a copper stub up we solder on a brass closet flange, (see image). To check them out click on ;Page 20 and find 4 X 3" brass closet flanges. In short I think you're attempting to install the wrong flange. Good luck, Tom
    Ultralight Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Thanks for the response Tom.

I'm trying to use the PVC twist n set closet flange on what I believe is a street ell. The open end of the ell that I am trying to connect to has the inner diameter slightly increased, opposite of the hubbed ells, where the outer diameter has a slight bulge.

The twist n set is probably unreturnable, so I'd like to use it at this point.

If I have to buy the brass one, I guess I could go that route if necessary.

It seems that the seal with the PVC twist-n-set would ge solid if I could cut it back vertically. It would fit inside the copper real tight with just a little lube. Any thoughts on this approach?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you connect a cast iron closet flange to an ABS Pipe? [ 9 Answers ]

I have to move my toilet over an inch from the wall per inspector's request. I have searched the internet and have not found an ABS offset closet flange that would work for me. I did however find a cast iron flange that measures 4" x 2" (Jones Stephens Corp. Model # C44-420). Is it at all...

Replacing a brass closet flange on a lead pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm renovating my bathroom and running into some issues with the old plumbing. Here is a link to some pictures of the situation which will do a much better job at describing things than I can. Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - plumbing Obviously the ideal situation would be to...

3/4" copper pipe for washer drain? [ 20 Answers ]

Parents moved into new ranch style house, and bought new washer/dryer. Drain for washer is what looks like a 1" copper stub with a 3/4" conversion fitting on it. Its about 6" off the ground. plastic bendable hose drain for washer has a rubber gasket-type fitting around it which fits in 2" PVC...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

Yet another "closet flange is too high, what to do" question [ 6 Answers ]

OK... let me first say thanks again for all the prior help. What's there: Concrete floor 3" cast iron Lead pipe connecting closet flange to closet el Brass closet flange will end up at 1" over fininshed floor... Ok... so I used a small, sharp screw driver and hammer and worked the...

View more questions Search