Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TLynnC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Plumbing/upstairs leak
    I have a walk in, ceramic, shower in the upstairs master bath. It is leaking into the downstairs ceiling (living room). We have removed pieces of the ceiling under the shower to see what the issue may be. It has a constant drip that speeds up when the shower is being used but never stops. It fills up a plastic solo cup about every 5 days.
    We have had the tile man regrout the floor of the shower using epoxy grout which did not fix the issue.
    What would be your suggestion? He suggested the next step is to tear out the floor of the shower because it is probably the pan underneath that is torn or not installed properly. He also looked at the drain from inside the ceiling downstairs, it has a very, very slow drip coming from directly under the drain. The drain pipe comes down and goes back to the right toward the door of the shower - the main leak is coming from 2' to the left of the drain pipe and 1' in front of the drain toward the back wall of the shower.
    A mystery & what a mess!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    TLC
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 04:42 PM
    UV water dye and a UV lamp such as this dye especially since you think it's in the drain:
    Grainger Industrial Supply: UV Dye,Industrial Water Systems,1 Pint 5LA44

Grainger is a wholesaler and won't sell to consumers.

It's very tough sometimes to find a water leak.

I might even think about using a fruit sprayer that attaches to a garden hose as a method of delivery.
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Jan 30, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    UV water dye and a UV lamp such as this dye especially since you think it's in the drain:
    Grainger Industrial Supply: UV Dye,Industrial Water Systems,1 Pint 5LA44

Grainger is a wholesaler and won't sell to consumers.
    Mcmaster.com is similar to Grainger but sells to the public. They may have the above mentioned product

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs Water Leak? [ 2 Answers ]

We noticed today that the downstairs ceiling is showing signs of leaking about 3 feet long. At first we thought it was from the bathroom but when we really took a look the location of the leak is to the west of where our upstairs washer/dryer is located. Someone told us it could be from...

Upstairs leak from bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an upstairs leak emitting from both bathrooms whenever the tubs are used... and seemingly when the toilets are used, also (if that's possible?). I'm also concerned about some loud popping noises that seem to be coming from the waste pipes... and sometimes a 'howling' noise... this could...

Leak in upstairs tub [ 9 Answers ]

Hello experts! I've isolated the leak in my upstairs tub to the drain itself. When the tub is filled a few inches with water, I can actually hear the water dripping down to the drywall (now wetwall) ceiling of the first floor living room. We've had several plumbing issues upstairs and one thing I...

Upstairs plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased this year a 140 year old 2 story home. I had the upstairs bathroom completely remodeled and the contractor tied into existing galvanized plumbing for a new bathroom sink that was moved to another part of the bathroom area. Now when the tap water is turned on I'm getting a oily...

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

View more questions Search