Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmcjimmy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Closet flange below floor
    First of all, great forum! I am installing a new toilet, but the floor has been built up over the years- two different times with 3/4 inch plywood panels. The original flange was never raised when this was done. I stand about 6'4" tall and my aim has gotten pretty good over the years, but as I age, I'm afraid that will become a thing of the past. Anyway, I am adding another 1/4" plywood over old tile and new tile over that. As a result, the difference in height between the existing ABS flange and the new toilet outlet will be almost 2 inches! The existing ABS flange is installed over the 3" ABS soil pipe. My first choice to remedy the problem would be to purchase a deep throat flange and replace the old one. I have looked at every store in my area, including Lowe's, Ace, and Home Depot, but cannot find one. So, I bought a piece of 3" PVC (ASTMD 1785/2665), to connect to my existing soil pipe which is 3" ABS (D2261/N16H5) Schedule 40, using a 3" PVC coupling (Genova #70130) and an Oatey Twist-N-Set PVC flange(#43654). This flange with the attached gasket fits inside the new 3" PVC pipe, will this provide sufficient "flow" or should I use a flange that fits over the PVC, like the current flange does? I have read that I can connect the ABS with the PVC as long as I use the correct cement, true? Without pulling the toilet, I'm not sure if the PVC coupling will fit over the existing ABS soil pipe. I have access to the crawl space below, but hope that I can cut off the soil pipe somewhat close to even with a hacksaw or reciprocating saw. I have about 4 1/2" of soil pipe to play with between the existing flange and the tee connection which leads to the vent. I realize that I will have to cut out two pieces of 3/4" plywood to stack on top of each other to make up the difference in original floor height in order to attach the new flange to the floor. This is the only toilet in the house, so I will need to work quickly without any additional trips to the store. Would I be better off to continue to shop for a deep flange instead, leaving the soil pipe intact and just cut off the old ABS flange? I can send a picture of the existing flange and drain if that will help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2005, 02:13 PM
    Hi Jimmy,
    I've found what you need but they only sell in quanity . Click on http://uapinc.net/WebPages/Plumbing/...setFlanges.htm and check out deep flange #40004. This flange fits inside a 3" plastic pipe and is deep enough to handle the difference. Good luck Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What height should the Closet Flange Extension be, from the top of the tile/floor? [ 5 Answers ]

I got a “Closet Flange Extension Kit” from Home Depot and it has 2 rings. One is ¼ inch and the other is a ½ inch; so basically I want to know which one to use. The current/original flange that is installed on the sub-floor is level with the top of the tile. The tile is just that 12” square...

Closet flange repair [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I sure could use your opinion. I have tiled the bathroom floor and the closet flange is broken on both sides. The flange repair tabs will not go under the broken flange. I was thinking of screwing the repair flanges over the top of the broken one and into the concrete. Then use an extended...

Closet Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3" PVC closet flange in my basement that is mounted to the cement floor and the flange is cracked in several spots and leaking. How can I repair it without breaking up the cement floor, is there away that I can remove the top of the flange and insert a new one.

Closet Flange [ 12 Answers ]

I have seen quite a few questions regarding closet flanges but not exactly what I have going on. The toilet in my first floor bathroom has been leaking from the base so I decided to take the opportunity to update the entire bathroom. After removing the toilet I was shocked to find no closet...

Closet flange question [ 8 Answers ]

Finally got into the bathroom remodel I was planning. When I got the toilet off I saw a couple of potential issues with the closet flange (cast iron flange attached to 4 inch pipe with lead... I was scraping around and saw the lead). 1. The flange is crooked and well above the concrete slab....

View more questions Search