Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vargas003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2005, 08:44 PM
    Connecting pvc to cast iron
    How can I connect a pvc pipe to a cast iron bell? What type of adhesive should be used?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2005, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vargas003
    How can I connect a pvc pipe to a cast iron bell? What type of adhesive should be used?
    We don't often have to connect PVC To a cast iron bell. We mostly connect a cast iron male end to a PVC male end using a NO-Hub Band or a Fernco Neoprene Coupling.
    However when we have to we treat it like a regular poured joint. The only difference being the as soon as we pour the lead we immediately pour cold water on the joint to cool it down so the lead doesn't burn the PVC. We then caulk the joint just like it was CI to CI. However, another way of doing this would be to yarn in the oakum and then pack and caulk lead wool instead of pouring a lead joint. While we prefer pouring the joint, lead wool would be much easier and safer then hot lead for a homeowner but you'll still have to yarn in the oakum and pack and caulk the lead wool. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

DWV cast iron cut [ 1 Answers ]

1) What's the best way to cut a 4" cast iron soil pipe that is against the wall of the house so I can't get a snap cutter chain around it? related: 2) Is there an adapter to connect 3" pvc (toilet drain) to a 4" cast iron hub on the main stack? Thanks

Cast Iron Tub Installation [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone have any tips on the installation of a cast iron tub in an existing alcove. Would like any advice on putting the tub into place so as to minimize injury, strain, frustration, people running over each other, etc.

Connecting PVC Line to Cast Iron pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I am adding a second bathroom to an older 1-1/2 story house. I had planned to tie into the existing waste line. The existing toilet is on the first floor and discharges directly into a vertical cast iron pipe which appears to be 6 inches in diameter. This vertical pipe connects in the crawl space...

Connecting 4" plastic to cast [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a toilet in my basement. I have a 4" cast pipe that is flush with the floor (Plug in it,no bell). I am installing a back outlet toilet and piping it over to the the 4" cast pipe. What do I need to connect the ABS to the cast pipe.

View more questions Search