Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carmenyc Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Septic stink outside house from roof vents
    Hi,
    We had a completely new septic tank and drain field put in about a month ago. The old septic was four inch cinder block and the pipe ran under a retaining wall to the house. They said that after they crushed the old septic they could not get to the house because of the wall. I'm not sure where they connected but I believe it was to the end of the pipe were the old septic was. Since then we have had a terrible smell outside. It seems to be strongest after we flush the toilet or even when water is running. The septic guys have no idea what is causing it, they suggested we extend the pipes on the roof. We put four foot extensions on both vents, it seemed to help some but it is still unbearable. I don't know what to to, please help.
    Thanks,
    Carmen
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
    When the crushed up the old block tank did they totally remove all rubble and excavation soil? It was probably a big mix of dirty a septic waste. Your vents can/do release septic gases but it should not be nuch different just because of the new tank. Before you try to do any more fixes I'd keep on the back of the installers. "septic guys have no idea what is causing it" sure they have an idea, it might have been them so they are ducking responsibility. If you want to test the vent pipe theroy just temporarily cap it with Saran wrap. It may cause some girgling but if the vent was the source the smell will be gone. I doubt that you will find the vent is the issue but try it.

Sep 26, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Septic smell from roof vents (cont)
    Hi,
    I'm not sure I used the answer section correct. Thanks for the sugestion about the old septic. I did go on the roof and wrapped up the vents just to make sure it wasn't coming from somewhere else. The smell stopped so I am sure it is coming out of the vents. Can I keep them covered? Do you or anyone else have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Carmen
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2007, 07:42 AM
    You may not cover the vents up but it sounds like you could use Odor Hog vent caps. Check them out at; OdorHog(tm), roof vent pipe filter that stops septic tank odor. 1-800-963-6746 Good luck, Tom

Sep 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Carmen remember I said just a temorary cap for testing the theroy only. Do not leave the Saran wrap on. Try Tom's suggestion w/ the odor hogs. If it is your vent he will have given you the perfect cure.

Oct 4, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You may not cover the vents up but it sounds like you could use Odor Hog vent caps. Check them out at; OdorHog(tm), roof vent pipe filter that stops septic tank odor. 1-800-963-6746 Good luck, Tom
    Hi Tom, (or anyone with advice)
    I put the odor hogs on and the smell shifted from outside to inside.
    Any ideas?
    Carmen
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2007, 07:09 AM
    I put the odor hogs on and the smell shifted from outside to inside.
    Any ideas?
    Check the Odor-Hogs to be sure they're not closing off the vents. Let me know. Tiom

Oct 4, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Tom,
    I went on the roof to check them. How do I know if it's clsing the vents? The small one is not. The bigger one with the filter may be but I don't know how to tell. I took it off and shook it. I can hear the charcoal roll around.
    Carmen

Oct 4, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Now this is an interesting turn. If the smell shifted inside there must be a point of drain/vent leakage inside the building. Is the smell worse right near a toilet? Could be a bad wax ring. What do you think Tom?

Oct 4, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Tom,
    It is difficult to tell but it seems to smell in both bathrooms.
    Carmen
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Now this is an interesting turn. If the smell shifted inside there must be a point of drain/vent leakage inside the building. Is the smell worse right near a toilet?? Could be a bad wax ring. What do you think Tom?
    Wax rings prevent leaks from a flush. What they do not protect against are back ups where the water backs up over the closet bend or the bad smell produced when the discharge hits a partial clog and bounces back sending a bubble of sewer gas ahead of it past the wax ring into the bathroom.
    My bet's on a partial clog downstream from the toilets. Cheers, tom

Oct 4, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Tom,
    It may be that the smell is worse at the lower toilet. I will replace the wax ring, but don't you think this has anything to do with our new septic. Could something not be working right with the drain field? This entire mess started with the toilet backing up in the bathroom. This is all I have done and still...
    - had the septic emptied
    - put a new toilet in
    - had a company snake the line (he said he did not feel like he hit a clog, but it did fix the problem)
    - six months later the toilet backed up again.
    - Had them snake the line again and run a camera
    - replaced the entire septic and drain field

The smell outside started

- extended the vents
    - removed extensions
    - odor hogs

Smell inside:(

Carmen

Oct 4, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Carmen, do any of your toilets wiggle a bit on the floor? I'm still thinking wax ring on the toilets but both toilets going bad at the same time would be rare. Be sure that all other fixtures have water in their traps, every drain has a trap.

Oct 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Yes the bottom toilet does wiggle a very little bit. I'm not sure how to tell if all the ptraps have wter.

Carmen
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Snug up the closet bolts and then flush the lower toilet and see if the smell gets worse a minute later. Let me know. Tom

Oct 4, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Just add water to you sink and your tub/shower. That water runs into the traps and keeps them full to stop gas from entering the home. Sounds like Tom and I both would go for replacing the wax ring at this point. That toilet should not wiggle and if it does the gas can enter your bathroom.

Oct 4, 2007, 08:38 AM
    I tightened the bolts and then flushed. The smell is still strong. Why did this just start after the new septic system. Is it just a coincedense?
    Carmen
    Ps I will replace the wax ring this evening

Oct 4, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Tightening the bolts may not make the wax ring reseal. Yes, it could be a coincidence. I think Tom and I are both wanting to know if flushing the toilet causes the smell to get worse. Ventilate the bath and home for awhile and then flush the toilet to see if the act of flushing pushes sewer gas into the room. Tom can show you pics of the type of ring he'd recommend for your situation. Remember that cheap is a bad word when buying plumbing repair parts.

Oct 4, 2007, 09:11 AM
    It is really hard to tell. I can say that when we come home from work there doesn't seem to be any odor until we start flushing and/or running water. We have all the windows and doors open but the bathrooms do not have windows. In the early morning it does not smell until we start using the facilities and then it is both the upstairs and downstairs that smells. (we use both)
    Carmen

Oct 4, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Hi Guys,
    We've talked about it. I'm sure it is not just one toilet or just when we flush. The whole house stinks. It seems as though it is coming from all the drains. I still have no clue what is causing this but my next step is the septic men. I think either the drain field is not working possible because of the angle or if there is a trap out there it is not working. Maybe because they said they had trouble and could not connect at the house and had to connect at the old septic something is not right. I so appreciate all your words of wisdom and your time.
    Thank you,
    Carmen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Roof on House [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell me what to look for in a roofer and what questions to ask the contractor before I have someone do the job? Thank you

Snake in roof of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, How do you get a snake out of the roof? The snake only appeared this week but it has already killed two of our wild lorikeets. My family home is a two-storey with verandahs so the snake has a lot of places to hide. We are desperate to be rid of it. Any suggestions will be very...

Under house vents [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I know I have read somewhere NOT to cover your outside under house vents, when you have a heat pump is this correct? Why? Our floor is soooo cold right now! :( Anyhow, any idea how to heat said floors up a bit (I know put on socks! ;) Thanks, Laurie

Methane Gas in house from Septic [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a 5 year old home. The basement has had a bathroom roughed in, including the container for a sewage ejection pump. The problem I am having is there is an odor coming into the house through the as yet unsed connection. As near as I can tell, the discharge line does have a check...

Septic smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Every winter I get a sewage smell throughout my house. I have a basement with a crawl space at the end and from within this crawl space is where the smell originates. My furnace is about 10 feet from this 3 foot square hole which goes to the crawl space and you can feel and smell the odor coming...

View more questions Search