Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jun 16, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Cast Iron: plug stuck in 3" x 1.5" Tee
    Hey there!

I've got a 3" cast iron soil stack, with a 1 1/2" Tee fitting which has a plug in it. There's some goop at the joint, it's pretty hard. Not quite JB-weld hard, but hard. It's beige colored.

There's not a lot of room in the space, but I've gotten an 18" pipe wrench on it and i can't budge it.

Any ideas? Heating w/ propane or oxy-acetylene? Just a really big cheater bar?

Obviously, breaking the fitting is the LAST thing i want to do!

thanks in advance!
    ~aaron

ps: This 1.5" tee is where the kitchen sink / dishwasher used to drain. A previous owner of the house routed this drain past the main stack, and out to what is apparently a dry-well or something... it's not connected to the septic. The county sanitarian issued an order when the place was inspected that it be reconnected to the septic, which is fine by me. IF I can get that plug out!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2007, 08:50 AM
    The "goop" you seed is most likely Rector Seal, a pipe compound.
    First I would take a hammer and tap around the threads to loosen and break the bind. Then I would load the threads up with WD40 and give it some time to work before attacking it with my 18 incher.
    If that failed I would take my torch and heat the cast iron threads while taking a hammer and beating on the wrench like a impact driver. Good luck, Tom

Jun 17, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Thanks!

Actually, I started hitting it with PB Blaster (wd-40, but seems to work even better) a few weeks ago.

I'm worried about breaking the cast iron pipe, since that would be a major disaster in my house, at least according to the female resident ;-)

I tapped it all a bit with a regular hammer, but boy does it sound scary... brittle, almost bell-like. Just now I've tried tying a rag onto the joint and soaking it with Goo-Gone, which is about the most universal adhesive-remover I've seen, rubbing a bit with the rag seemed to get some off, so I'm hopeful.

As a last resort, would it be possible to drill into the plug and then cut towards the threads? Is that a reasonable way to break the plug out? Or how about using a cold-chisel and hammer to drift the plug around?

Thanks again for the swift response!

Here's a couple of pics, for future reference.

~aaron
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2007, 12:05 PM
    How about using a cold-chisel and hammer to drift the plug around?

That's what I'd be trying next. Good luck, tom

Jun 17, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Got it!

Soaking with the goo-gone really made that stuff soft (it was very, very hard before) enough to brush off. Some more of it soaked into the threads, plus a cheater-bar (about 3 ft) and pop!

Right off!

Thanks for the help and encouragement!
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Glad you got the plug out. Use Teflon Tape on the threads next time. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3.5" Cast Iron Vent Collar Broken What to Do? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello Im in the middle of a bathroom remodel and I found the collar on the 3.5 in main drain that the Vent pipe threads into has broken off. I have no idea how I should fix this. The 3.5 in cast iron drain comes through the floor to a “T” 1.5 in PVC for the sink branches to the left and...

Need to move toilet left 1" (cast iron) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My current problem is I have cast iron plumbing in a concrete floor in a basement. Once the walls were finished and the new travertine floor in I noticed that the center of the toilet flange was only about 10.5" from the wall. This would make it a little tight on the left side when...

PVC to Cast iron "Speed bump" [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I call this thread the speed bump because when I dug out my basement floor to replace an upstream section of cast iron pipe with new pvc pipe for a bathroom and to move my stack, the downstream attachemtn to the cast iron pipe is now giving me some mild trouble. The cross section of...

Join 4" PVC to Cast Iron Hub [ 2 Answers ]

I am re-routing the main sewer line that goes through the basement/crawl space of my 70+ year old house. Simply put, there are too many re-plumbs, new lines, and/or patches by previous generations. In the next months, a new kitchen and bathroom downstairs are going to cut into this patchwork 2...

Shower flange"cast iron" [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stand alone shower on a slab foundation that leaked I pulled the floor out and the cast iron flange for the liner is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. How do I go about this and where do I get the parts.

View more questions Search