Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Socal_858 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
    Water leak in slab, fix the leak or repipe in the attic?
    My house is 60+ years old and I have discovered a water leak the in the slab. Because of the age of the house I'm concerned there will be more leaks to follow so I'm concerning re-piping through the attic. Any suggestions?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2012, 03:40 AM
    Depending on your climate, freezing of pipes can be a great concern with attic pipes. I had just one short run of copper in my attic which I did not know about but found out about it very abruptly on a February day.
    Even after installing a suspended ceiling, and lowering the pipe to the inside of the room to under the original ceiling and placing extra insulation above it in the attic, temperatures are borderline every winter. My situation is with the line above a basement stairway that has no heat ducts but after my expensive exprerience with a burst pipe, I would be concerned about any pipes in the attic, and I live in an area where temperatures drop below 20 degrees maybe 5 to 10 times per winter.
    Do you have the height to install suspended ceilings to conceal the pipes above heated rooms.
    Just my experience. You will hear from some plumbing experts here I am sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leak from a house built on slab? [ 13 Answers ]

My mother bought a home in North Carolina and built in 1994. She is noticing a large area 24" of wet carpet(wall to wall). The house was built on a slab. She is 75yrs old and is not sure who to call first or how serious this could be. Her hot water heater is gas and there are no signs of leakage...

Water Leak in Concrete Slab Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I live in San Jose, CA in a 10-year old home with concrete slab foundation. I noticed wetness in the carpet in the guest closet. The closet is in the middle of the first floor and far away from any tap/faucet/bathroom. I removed the carpet and found that the floor is wet. After thoroughly...

Water leak in slab construction [ 6 Answers ]

How can I locate a small leak in my concrete slab floor. Copper supply line is buried in the slab. Leak can be heard but water not evident... the water must be absorbed through to the earth below.

Water pipe leak in slab [ 1 Answers ]

I hava a leak in a water pipe that runs through my slab. Is there a way to detect just how far in the leak is. It drips down in the basement at the spot where the pipe goes into the slab. I really would like to avoid digging up slab as it is actuallt the floor of my den on the main level. Please...

Leak under slab . Now water hammer . I think ? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Pic shows 2 bath addition to house approx 12 years ago. No problems until... within the last 6 months there was a leak under The slab between " A & B" in picture. Instead of busting slab, I decided to re-route the copper lines from Point A... up to attic, then back down to point B. ...

View more questions Search