Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidwiegand Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jun 1, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Basement shower drain leaks
    When the plumber installed a shower in my basement, the p-trap did not align directly with the drain of the shower. The plumber added a rubber connector with hose clamps to deal with this offset.

This worked fine for a few years. However, recently the shower drain leaks. I am guessing that the rubber fitting has broken down. How can I fix this without removing the shower unit or without breaking up the cement floor?

Thanks,
    Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Hi Dave,
    This may not be the rubber coupling. Does the shower floor give a bit when you step in it? This may be a ruptured drain lip seal. In both cases to repair this you're going to hafta get under the shower floor. Is this doable? Back to you, Tom
    davidwiegand Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jun 1, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Tom,
    Shower floor does not give. The connection from the shower floor to the first section of drain pipe is sealed. However, I cannot see more than about 5 inches into the pipe before it elbows towards the rubber coupling. I cannot get to the bottom of the shower floor without removing the entire unit or by chopping through the concrete floor and tunneling over to the base of the shower.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Before you go through all that you had better make sure what's leaking. Remove the strainer and close off thye drain. A wet towel or you can blow up a balloon to stop it off. Now fill the base with about a inch of water and let it set over night. If any water leaked out you have a ruptured drain seal. If not you may just have to pull the shower base and do what the plumber should have done in the first place and that is to install the shower base correctly without using a rubber coupling that has no business under a slab, in a wall or where it can't be serviced or replaced. Let me kinow how the test comes out. Good luck, Tom PS. If this is a drain seal leak it will be a lot easier to fix. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower stall floor drain leaks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fiat shower stall floor pan & I have a leak . I have removed the ceiling on first floor & the leak apears to be from above , plumbers putty didn't work , neo gasket missing & can't find replacement , any suggestions?

Shower receptor/pan drain leaks [ 4 Answers ]

A new Florestone acrylic shower receptor was installed in a 2nd floor shower as part of a shower wall retiling project. The drain is 2" copper. The receptor was installed but the rubber seal that came with the receptor was for PVC so it was not installed prior to the retiling job. A Florestone...

Shower leaks to basement [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water pipe is leaking down to the basement. I removed the Compression fixture and replaced the stem washer thinking this was the cause. Also I made sure the fixture was secure and tight. The leak is a slow one, the drip, drip kind. The leak runs down the pipe. Maybe there is another...

New shower drain leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, looking for some expert plumbing advice... My new showewr drain leaks around the exterior of the drain between the grout and the drain itself. I have torn out the tiles around the drain and now need to seal the drain to the floor and seal it up to the tiles to prevent the leakage. (does...

Standing Shower Drain Leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I read few articles about how to fix the shower drain leaks. I guess some experts suggested to use WingTite. I think the rubber gasket and the threaded top cover is what is causing the leak. The threaded holder seems a bit bigger than the hole of the shower drain itself and I don't know how...

View more questions Search