Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knitterdude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 06:48 PM
    New vanity drain pipe is not the same height as existing drain
    I am remodeling my bath. My wife bought a new vanity cabinet that came pre-plumbed with sinks in the counter top, faucets, drains, traps and piping. The existing bath drain stubs from the wall are 18" from the floor. The new vanity has drain piping 24" from the floor (could be adjusted to 22" from the floor). Obviously the new will not line up with the old. I supposed I could add and extension to the sink drain pipe to lower the trap and drain pipe to 18". The only problem is the new vanity has a shelf ~19" from the floor. Other than cutting a hole for the trap and a slot for the drain pipe and adding length to the sink drain stem is there any other suggestions??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 25, 2009, 06:57 PM

You have one option and just explained it to us quite well. That shelf must be cut unless you want to open the wall and try to cut and install a new drain lateral. Are you drains PVC? It might not be as bad as you think to raise the drain lateral.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2009, 05:58 AM
    Bob nailed it! You could attempt to raise the sanitary tee and stubout but that's a real hassle. Better to bite the bullet and cut the shelf. Extend the tailpiece using either a threaded tailpiece of a compression tailpiece extension .(see image)
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 26, 2009, 07:40 AM

I think you should notch the shelf. Many people do so. Some vanities have cut out in the shelf to accommodate drain installation. Or you can drill nice hole in the shelve and drop the drain pipe through it. Unless you have wall open, raising San T may be quite a messy work for you. But, it is an option, for sure... Let us know what you decided to do... Good Luck... Milo
    knitterdude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Thanks to all that responded. I agree that the best option is to notch the shelf. I just wanted to make sure that I had not overlooked an obvious option. Thanks again to all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing & connecting new toilet drain pipe to existing septic [ 3 Answers ]

How do I install a new toilet and shower drain pipe system and attach to existing septic system. I've already opened a 24" wide and 42" deep path through the concrete foundation, under house wall and down to the existing septic drain pipes.

Attaching new PVC Shower drain to existing 2" Cast Iron pipe in poured slab. [ 1 Answers ]

Background: 1. Demo'd old (1962?) master bath shower (5'x3.5') down to the slab/studs. 2. Tried to get old cast iron shower trap out, but 2" drain line was so brittle that it broke off where it was inside the cast iron shower drain(see pic 2), which looks like it was leaded onto the 2". So. I...

Outgoing Drain Behind Vanity Cabinet Not Aligned with Sink Drain Tube in New Sinktop [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new vanity cabinet and new marble vanity top, both slightly larger than the originals. The problem we've encountered is that the drainage pipe that will exit sink water from the sink to the house -- the PVC pipe in the house/wall -- is not aligned with the new location of the sink...

Replacing 70' of existing drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

What is a fair price for laying new pipe and removing old? Is it reasonable for the plumber to ask to cut down a tree? Two trees? It seems that some type of repair where the problem area that is full of roots, cut be cut away and pvc laid in using end caps. Is that impractical?:confused:

Height of drain pipe for washer [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry, but I think this may be a totally rookie question. Instead of having our washing machine discharge into a sanitary tub I added a T to the drain and made a dedicated drain for the washer. The height of the pipe was only about half of the height of the washer itself. Now, when the washer tries...

View more questions Search