Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zafiro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 06:29 PM
    kitchen drain collapsed
    House 40-50 years old, ranch on a slab
    lived here 12 years and have had chronic problem of washing machine backing up
    very difficult roto job each time - sometimes from the roof .
    Most recent time unable to pass through recommended vide telescope.
    drain Medicm perfomreed camera laundry line
    report reads" "L al is broken at K-sink tie in. Plumber reports "video insection located collapsed line underground.
    They marked the spot on my tile - the markig is on the other wall in back of kitchen
    I just put new tile down and had the house painted
    The plumber who has stuck withthis household is recommending removing some of the tile, jackhammering, remove some dry wall , remove cabinet, counter/sick and piping
    replace piping underground, repiping kitchen , replacing sink, counter, cabinet, tile .
    He says it's about 3 day job and will cost around $3K .
    I haven't received his written bid - I appreciate that he is trustable and wold like to use him .
    Does this sound reasonable?
    Is there a way to fix it it without jachammering ripping up walls, etc?
    In the meantime he is advising - no laundry and minimal kitchen use

I was surprised that he didn't video other pipes - we have kind of taken the approach with plumbing to deal with it when it crops up . My husband puts liquid plumber into the bathroom drain 3-4 x year and it works - He shaves the old fashioed way .
    Is this a concern?
    Should I deal with it at the same time
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 07:10 PM

I'd get the whole home back in order all at the same time but I'd also get 3 bids to see what opthers think and charge. $3k is cheap, maybe you will get what you pay for. If there is a collapsed pipe under your slab there aren't many ways to fix this without taking up the floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink won't drain/SLOW drain [ 13 Answers ]

Hopefully this is one of those questions with an obvious answer... I have a two-side kitchen sink with a disposal on one side. The sink began to get backed up once in a while, then the other day as I was running the disposal, all the water and gunk and food backed up into the other side of the...

Connecting to 1 1/2" copper drain with pvc kitchen sink drain trap [ 8 Answers ]

I'm trying to rehook up the kitchen sink pvc trap to the old copper drain pipe but the connector doesn't fit tight enough and the water links out. Any ideas how to stop this leak?

Kitchen Drain Will Not Drain Regularly [ 2 Answers ]

Our house was remodeled before we moved in and the former owners moved the kitchen farther away from the main drain line under the house. Now there is not much of an angle from the kitchen to the main line. I seems like air pockets get in the line and keeps the drain from running. Any suggestions?

My Rotweiler collapsed [ 10 Answers ]

My Rotweiler got up from laying on the floor and when she got up she collapsed. She wouldn't get up. I laid there with her for an hour and finally she decided to get up. I was possibly thinking that she might have had a small heart attack but I am not sure. It is about two hours later and she is...

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

View more questions Search