Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shuels Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Is there a building code that mandates the height of a washing machine hot/cold feed?
    I am looking to add a countertop over my washer and dryer - however the current hot/cold water feed and drain for the washing machine would be directly in the way of the counter (~41 inches).

Is there a code that mandates the height of those lines or can I drop them down 12 inches or so to get the clearance I need?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 27, 2009, 09:28 PM

Code doesn't mandate height of h/c water supplies. However, Code mandates the drain height.

The height of the stand pipe should be between 30 to 36" from the trap. Bottom of the trap should be 6" above the mud plate. So the 41" you have is just about right.

If you lower the stand pipe chances are you will get water overflow during drainage.
    shuels Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Thank you for the prompt response. How do people achieve this type of look with those height requirements - http://fhillc.com/otherprojects.html. I cannot see the drain hookup and the washer is a standard height - so it must be hidden behind the washer below the counter - which is probably about 39 inches off the ground to to the bottom of the counter top.

Can you drop the trap below the plate into a crawl space?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2009, 07:35 AM

We set our washer boxes a few inches over the washers flood rim.
    We like to give the stand pipe as much height as we can so we keep the trapas low as we can. Yes, you can drop the trap into the crawl space in you need more height on the stand pipe. Good luck, tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 09:10 AM

Suels, that counter top in the photo provided is about 42" high - if not higher. ( washer machine itself is about 39" high ). That's enough to install drain within the required measurements and still achieve the same effect as in the posted link.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Hi all...

Susan, there is more than one code book out there. In my area we hook up washing machines much like Speedball with the washer standpipe or washer box set a few inches or more above the top of the washing machine. My code also allows for a standpipe that is just between 18 to 36" from the PTRAP and all our washing machines seem to work just fine... ;)

Like Tom said, if you want to drop the ptrap below the floor you can do that, but if you can pull it off with the shorter standpipe I'd try it first! To be real clear, however, when I can, I install a 30" standpipe.

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Standpipe Height [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a washing machine in the basement and the sewage drain pipe is at a height of 5 feet off the floor. From everything I have read, the standpipe should be above the height of the washer tub and it should be 2" in diameter. Could I install the washer without having a external pump...

Corroded hot water feed to washing machine [ 8 Answers ]

The water feed connection at the spicket is very corroded. It is in the inset in the wall and difficult to get a wrench on. I have used Liquid Wrench and WD-40 but cannot break it loose. Any suggestions?

Hot and cold water feed to utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

What is the purpose of the one foot capped copper pipes on the utility sink.

Hot but no cold water to washing machine [ 4 Answers ]

My washer will only fill up with hot water even though I have it on warm. When I try to turn on cold, water does not flow. I've taken off the hoses and run water through them thinking they were clogged but they're fine. I've turned on faucets that lead to washer and water comes out fine. I recently...

Error code F dL on my Kenmore HE3 Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to start my Kenmore HE 3 Front loading washing machine it makes a severl clicking sound, not the normal "locked" sound, then I get the F dL error message. I have tried all the normal ways to get the door open but my dirth clothes are locked inside, the machine will not run and I get...

View more questions Search